Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New Art Supplies

I recently bought myself some new art supplies: a Heinz Jordan 5"x8" Permanent Sketch Book, a set of 12 Lyra Rembrandt Aquarel watercolour pencils, and a Sakura Pigma Brush pen.


The sketchbook is going to be used for my latest art journal. My previous art journals have been heavy on collage and used dollar-store notebooks that I adapted to suit my needs. This art journal, however, is going to contain sketches, drawings, and light watercolour paintings.

The Heinz Jordan sketchbook is just what I wanted. It has a plain black cover and plain white paper with no printing anywhere on the book. When I purchased it, there was a label stuck on the front cover that I was able to peel off easily. It is fairly thick, which is good, since I want it to last a long time. The pens I have been using in it - Staedtler fineliners, Pigma Microns, and Sharpie pens - do not bleed through the pages at all. The pages do buckle when water is applied to them, but that was what I expected.

I love my Sakura Pigma Brush pen. It allows me to create the look of writing with a brush without the annoyance of always having to dip the brush in ink. It is smooth to write with and more fun than using an ordinary pen.

Mandala drawn using brush pen and coloured with watercolour pencils

Finally, my Lyra Rembrandt Aquarel watercolour pencils came in a set of 12 colours: black medium, Venetian red, Van Dyke brown, apple green, sap green, Prussian blue, light blue, dark carmine, pale geranium lake, light orange, lemon, and white. I had never used watercolour pencils before and most of my previous "art" supplies had come from the school supply aisle, so I was excited to get these. The colours are bright and they blend well. I only need to add a little water to use them as watercolours. (The pencils also come in a nice tin.)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE watercolor pencils! They are one of my favorite art tools. I took them with my on vacation, along with a paintbrush and was able to use them right on the balcony overlooking the ocean! Heaven!

    I was just reading up on paper for watercolors the other day, because the paper always buckles. Apparently, you need "300 pound" paper to keep it from buckling, or you need to "stretch" the paper.

    300 pound weight paper isn't cheap, and kinda hard to do the paper stretching in a journal, lol! Honestly, the buckling doesn't matter that much to me.

    I so love that you've started this blog! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The buckling doesn't really bother me either.

    By the way, thanks for being the first person to comment on my new blog, Mrs. B!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...