Sunday, August 30, 2009

Old Art Journal Pages

Every once in a while it can be entertaining to take out old art journals and look through them. I have only been keeping an art journal since last December so I only have two old journals to look through.

The first page spread is from my very first art journal. Many of the pages in this journal were decorated using craft acrylic paints, which was not the best choice. When I took the book down after several months of sitting on the shelf, many of the pages were stuck together, although they did peel apart fairly easily.


This art journal was also a poetry journal so the left-hand page contains a poem I wrote using an exercise from The Practice of Poetry: Writing Exercises from Poets Who Teach edited by Robin Behn and Chase Twichell. The right-hand page includes collage elements and a found poem from words clipped from magazines. I also used craft acrylics, pencil crayons, and Staedtler triplus fineliners.

The second page spread is from my second art journal, which is less of a journal and more of a "gluebook," as the pages consist mainly of collages. I did this not because I was particularly drawn to collage as an art form, but because I had a stack of collage materials that I wanted to use up.

I created several pages that were themed around particular colours; this is the "green" page. Theming pages by colour is a fun and easy way to get started on a collage. The collage materials include magazine cut-outs and scrapbooking papers, as well as a few stickers. I also did some doodling with various pens, including the Pilot Choose gel pen in white.

1 comment:

  1. I love looking at the different types of journal pages people create. The green one is inspiring. Thank you for sharing!
    Jackie
    www.lettersandjournals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...