Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Does the Way You Write Affect Your Writing Style?

In seventh grade, we were required to write all of our assignments in cursive, using a pen. We had to underline the titles using a red pen and a ruler and we had to write our name and the date in the top right-hand corner of every page. The next year I went to high school, where there were no such rules (or at least not as many). I went back to writing with a pencil rather than a pen (especially as I took more math and science courses) and I stopped writing in cursive. I didn't really think much about it, until recently.

Last year, I came across a suggestion in The Decorated Journal by Gwen Diehn to try changing the way in which you write to loosen your writing and make the words flow more easily. At that time, when I wanted to write something (like a blog post), I would begin composing it on the computer. This method didn't work very well. I don't like computers much anyway, so staring at a computer screen was not the best way for me to get my creativity flowing.



So I grabbed an old ballpoint pen and some scrap paper and began writing - in cursive. I hardly remembered how to do it! But it worked. The words began to flow and I found myself enjoying the process of writing much more.

Now, this is the way I have to write - on scrap paper, with a ballpoint pen (which I otherwise don't like very much), in cursive. I don't know what it is - the smooth, flowing, rapid nature of the writing (I can write faster than I can type), or the throwaway nature of the paper and pen that allows me to write whatever comes into my mind, as well as to scribble, cross things out, and doodle in the margins.

How do you prefer to write - with a pen, a pencil, typed on a typewriter or computer, or etched in stone?

1 comment:

  1. With a pen. on paper. Usually a comp notebook.
    and I use a fountain pen with waterproof ink.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...