Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Obligatory Sharpie Pen Review

Everyone (in the pen world, that is) seems to be talking about the Sharpie Pen these days. Here's my thoughts on it:

First of all, the overall pen design has a smooth, modern appearance. The problem I have with it is that the only indicator of the pen colour is a narrow band near the base of the pen and four fine curved lines running along the length of the pen. I keep my Sharpie Pens in a case with several other pens, and I find it difficult to quickly locate the colour I want as the colour indicators are quite small and not very obvious.

I have heard many complaints about the uncomfortable grip section on the Sharpie Pen, and yes, that sharp edge cuts into my finger as well. However, this problem has supposedly been solved with the new retractable version of the Sharpie Pen.

The line width of the Sharpie Pen is a bit wider than I would prefer, despite the fact that the pen is labelled "fine." The ink is waterproof, which is nice if I want to use the pen with watercolours. I would show you the water test I did but there isn't much to look at as the ink was completely unaffected by the water. The Sharpie Pen ink does not bleed through the paper, but there is a fair bit of show-through on some papers.

I'm not overly thrilled with the colours. They are light and bright, but the green has too much of a bluish cast to it (this really showed up when I did a comparison of the green pens that I own) and overall the colours remind me of the markers that I used in elementary school. The only one that I regularly use in my journal is the black version. (The Sharpie Pen is apparently also available in purple and orange, but I haven't tried those.)

Overall, the Sharpie Pen is a decent pen that writes well and is available in several colours, but it is probably not going to become one of my favourites.

Related reviews: Pen and Design, The Pen Addict, OfficeSupplyGeek, Does This Pen Write?, Dose of Salt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...