Thursday, November 12, 2009

Back to the Art Journal, Part 1: The Journal

If you are interested in art journaling and you haven't yet seen Teesha Moore's series of videos on art journaling - including painting, collage, pen work, lettering, as well as making the journal itself - then I urge you to check them out now.  My own journaling practice had deteriorated lately into a sketch here or a few lines jotted down there, but after watching Teesha's videos I was inspired to go back to keeping a regular art journal.

But to begin with, I needed a blank journal.  Teesha's video showed how to make a simple, 16-page, single-signature pamphlet, but I used Gwen Diehn's (very similar) instructions in The Decorated Journal.  The only suitable paper I had on hand was a Heinz Jordan watercolour pad that had come in a package with my watercolour pencils.  The sheets are 10x14 inches; folded in half, this makes pages 7x10 inches.  I used three sheets and didn't worry about a cover (the simpler the better) and sewed them together with some green upholstery thread.  (Maybe not the usual thing for bookbinding but it was all I had on hand - and it worked.)

The journal.  Not much to look at so far.

The result - a 10-page (counting the inside "covers"), 7x10 inch, single-signature pamphlet journal that took just minutes to make.  In the future, I will probably want something that looks more like a book and has a few more pages, but knowing my inconstant journaling habits, this is probably good for a start.

Stay tuned for more of my art journal adventures, as I venture into the weird and wild realms of painting, collage, pen work, and more.

Other posts in this series:

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I have always been fascinated by journals and journaling but I am notorious for not doing anything about it. I really enjoyed the videos and I hope to try and incorporate journaling into my life more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel. I'm glad that my post may have helped to inspire you to get journaling more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...