Saturday, December 5, 2009

Art Journaling, Part 5: Lettering


Here they are, the finished pages!

As you can see, I've added some words, as well as few more small collage items and doodles.  I mainly used brown and green Sakura Permapaque paint markers, a white Pilot Choose gel pen, and a black Staples Gel Mini.  The Pilot Choose performed way better than it usually does; apparently it likes writing on a painted surface.  The words are a favourite quote by Henry David Thoreau: "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, it is perhaps because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."  I also added in the date and the word "journal" (original, I know).

Overall, I am really thrilled with how these pages turned out.  I absolutely love the colours and patterns, and I also like that they took a long time to make.  I enjoy returning to the same pages over a period of several days or even a couple of weeks, rather than just finishing it all in one sitting.  I actually think these pages are one of the best things I've ever made in my life.

I have the next two pages nearly finished, so I'll try to post those once they're done, and perhaps also some pages from a book I am calling "the other journal."

Here are the links to the previous posts in this series:

3 comments:

  1. Was William Blake Scrap Booking? But this could be framed. I used to dream of creating a book with Egyptian Hieroglyph created by hand. I used to keep clipped magazine photos from Scientific American (back when it was good), Smithsonian, Nat Geo and other sources. Nature scenes, animals, Art, artifacts, and curiousities (none too bizarre or gross). Usually one per page, sometimes a few. My own Museum Book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful Heather! That is one of my favourite quotes from Thoreau. Makes me want to break out my calligraphy supplies and practice again.


    --Finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, strangerland and Finn! I am glad that my humble art may have helped to inspire you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...