Thursday, January 14, 2010

Staedtler Triplus Fineliners

Believe it or not, I am actually beginning to run out of new pens to review, which is why today I am sharing with you an old favourite, my Staedtler Triplus Fineliners.

Staedtler Triplus Fineliners come in a multitude of colours and are ideal for quick sketching.  The pen itself is long and narrow, with a triangular shape and no grip, which may not please everyone, but I actually find it fairly comfortable to use.  The tip of the pen does get worn down after a while, but usually that is quite a while.  These pens last a long time (especially the yellow and pink, which I hardly ever use!).  They are supposedly "dry safe" (meaning they can be safely left uncapped for several days), but I have never tested this.

One notable feature of these pens that I have to mention is their case.  The case is made of durable plastic, with a lid that cleverly folds back and snaps underneath, forming a stand.  From an environmental viewpoint, I really appreciate these types of packaging that can be re-used, reducing the amount that is thrown away.  On the practical side, the case is also useful (for obvious reasons).

As I mentioned above, these pens are available in many colours.  Some time ago, I bought the set of ten colours, which included black, brown, light and dark green, light and dark blue, pink, red, orange, and yellow.  As these original colours have been running out, I have replaced them with other colours such as grey and purple.  Generally, I prefer the more muted colours such as brown, grey, and olive green, but that is just a personal preference.

Mandala drawn and coloured using Staedtler Triplus Fineliners.

6 comments:

  1. The Staedtler Triplus are just great! I gave them to my 8-yr-old son as a stocking filler for Xmas and he loves them. The lid that doubles as a stand is an extra bonus specially when you're out and about - it's a portable pen holder!
    Love you Mandala.

    Lito

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lito. I'm glad to have found another fan of the triplus fineliners, and I'm glad you like my mandala!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have just discovered your nice review on STAEDTLER triplus fineliners!
    We'd love to meet you on our facebook fanpage http://www.facebook.com/STAEDTLER.headquarters - it would be great if you became a fan, too, and shared your experience.
    NB: We've got some really cute STAEDTLER triplus fineliner promotions in the pipeline for 2011. I do not want to give away too many details at the moment - but reading about your preference for muted colours ... I guess we've got a surprise for you. Stay tuned!

    Hope to meet you soon and best regards from STAEDTLER headquarters in Germany, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, love your review. I, too, love using Triplus Fineliners for anatomy sketches, but I find that these pens often bleed through my notebook pages. Do you have any recommendations for notebooks that are compatible with these pens and have pages thick enough to prevent bleed-through?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. get notebooks with thick papers or uses moleskin sketchbooks

      Delete
    2. You could try Rhodia notebooks, as they tend to work well with most pens and inks. Also look at sketchbooks, as they may have heavier-weight paper.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...