Wednesday, February 3, 2010

From the Other Journal


I'm sorry I've haven't posted here for awhile, but I am currently in the midst of studying for midterm exams and I have way more things that I need to do than I have time to do them.  My to-do list has finally become less than half a page long so I thought I would take the opportunity to post a couple of pages from my "other journal," which seems to be becoming a sketchbook journal.  These pages show an abstract doodle that I didn't really like until I put letters around it, a rather geometrical diagram of interlocking bands, and sketches of some pressed flowers that I have sitting on the shelf above my desk.  (As I think of summer, when I can go out and sketch living flowers.)  The words and sketches were all written and drawn with a black Sharpie Pen and the flowers were coloured with watercolour pencils (which I am still learning how to use).  I don't have much time to work in my journal these days, so these pages were developed over about a period of about a week.

I haven't acquired any new pens or other supplies lately, but I do plan to make a trip to the campus bookstore (home of many enticing items) sometime in the future.  I recently read two books on journaling, both by Hannah Hinchman: A Trail Through Leaves: The Journal as a Path to Place and A Life in Hand: Creating the Illuminated Journal, and if I find the time, I will try to write a review of one or both of these books in the next week or so.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this "other journal"! I too was inspired by the CWL book that you mentioned in your link. But I'm unable to keep a journal just for nature. I keep thinking it's a good idea, but I just don't seem to manage to keep one exclusively for that purpose.

    I really like the combination of flowers/design on this page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Sophie. If I had time everyday to take long walks in nature and spend several hours a day outdoors, maybe it would be possible to keep a dedicated nature journal. But the way my life is, sometimes I just feel like drawing some abstract designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful design, Heather. Good luck with your exams!
    Lito

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Miss Heather,

    Hello! We are Daycraft - the No.1 Notebook and Diary brand in Hong Kong. Recently we found out your blog A Penchant For Paperand would like to send some samples to you so as to let the world outside Hong Kong to realize the creativity and quality of Hong Kong brands.

    If you don't mind, pls email your name, mailing add (No. P.O. Box pls), contact phone no. and postal code. We shall send samples for your reference.

    If you have any inquiry, pls feel free to contact me at foreal@taishing.com.hk.

    Regards,

    Kok-hin, LEE (Mr.)
    Retail & Marketing Manager
    Tai Shing Diary Limited

    Below is the comment from bloggers in USA :
    http://penarchives.blogspot.com/2010/02/d-sign-notebook-from-daycraft.html#comments
    http://www.plannerisms.com/2010/01/daycraft-sneak-peek-reviews-and.html#comments
    http://sketch-books.blogspot.com/2010/02/win-daycraft-decoder-sketchbook.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...