Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5 Blue

A friend of mine loves liquid ink pens and will not use any other kinds of pens (I keep trying to convert her to fine point gel pens, but I haven't succeeded so far), so I thought I should try one out myself.  My university bookstore has a fairly wide selection of liquid ink pens, making a decision difficult, but I eventually settled on the Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5 in blue.


First of all, I really enjoy writing with this pen.  I love the 0.5mm needle point tip, and I love how the rich blue liquid ink effortlessly glides onto the page.  But, I am not so impressed with how it behaves on certain papers.  (Keep in mind that I do not own all that many different papers to try it on.)  On the 80g Rhodia paper that I used for my written review, there was some minor feathering and showthrough.  When I used it on the paper in my Paperblanks journal there was no showthrough, but still some minor feathering.  On standard looseleaf paper like that I use for taking notes in school, there is more noticeable feathering and some bleedthrough.

Clearly, the Pilot Hi-Tecpoint is not ideal for all papers, and it will probably not become one of my everyday pens.  But if you are not planning to write on the back of the page and you don't mind the feathering, then these issues might not be a problem.

The pen itself is fairly basic: sturdy metal clip, smooth plastic grip, barcode printed directly onto the body of the pen (which always annoys me).  The dark section behind the "V5" is in fact a translucent window that allows you to see the ink inside.

If you're looking for more things to read on pens and paper, head over to Pocket Blonde for the latest Carnival of Pen, Pencil, and Paper.  As always, check out the carnival home page at Notebook Stories.

Related review: On Fountain Pens

12 comments:

  1. hey dude! do you have any idea , how to refill one of these...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - as far as I know, the Hi-Tecpoint can't be refilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes it can be refilled. just pull the top part which includes the nib, add ink, and put it back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you please tell me which brand ink to put in. Does Pilot company provides it's own special ink ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anubhav, I can not find refills for this pen from Pilot. There may be a way to refill it, but I don't know.

      Delete
    2. I have a pilot v5 that has refill.
      If you search on amazon you can find the pen and the refills just type pilot v5 :)

      Delete
  5. how many pages can i write with a pilot pen?? i was wondering if i could use it for my exams.. please reply asap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This pen has lasted me years, so - while I don't know how many pages you could write with it - it does seem to be very long-lasting. I think it would be a good exam pen, except that it can bleed through thinner papers. If you have to write on both sides of the page, then it might be better to choose a different pen.

      Delete
  6. I finished my last set of three in 15 days. Preparing for a competitive exam and I write atleast 45-50 pages a day. Maybe even more. I have bought a total of 18 pens till now in last 2 years, unfortunately they don't seem to work well after refill too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 45-50 pages a day!? That is a lot of writing. Good luck with that exam!

      Delete
  7. which ink to use for Pilot hi techpoint pen V5???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pilot Hi Tec Colour Ink
      http://www.luxor.in/pilot-hi-tec-clr-ink-bottle%28black%29---%28set-of-10%29_9000000899.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...