Monday, May 17, 2010

Zebra Sarasa 0.4mm Olive

When I first picked up this 0.4mm Zebra Sarasa gel pen, I was disappointed by how scratchy it was.  I had been using the 0.7mm Sarasas for years and had never had any problems with them.  However, first impressions can be deceiving.  As I have used this pen more, much of the scratchiness has gone away, although it is still far from being as smooth as a Pentel Slicci or Uni-ball Signo DX.


The 0.4mm version is a smaller, thinner version of the 0.7mm.  I do not like the rubbery, hard, slightly sticky grip; it has accumulated a few black smears on it that will not come off and it feels as though it would attract dust and lint as well (I've just tested it by rubbing it on my cat's back and it did attract a few cat hairs).

0.4mm Sarasa (top) and 0.7mm Sarasa (bottom) compared.

I cannot resist comparing the colour of this pen to that of the olive green Pilot Hi-Tec-C that I reviewed a few days ago.  As you can see on the written review, the Hi-Tec-C olive is a bit darker and considerably greener than the Sarasa olive.  Being a fan of green inks, I prefer the Hi-Tec-C olive, but the Sarasa's version may be more true to the olive colour (I'm not an expert on olives so I don't really know).

The 0.4mm Zebra Sarasa is not a bad pen, but if you are looking for a good fine-tipped retractable gel pen, I would be more likely to recommend something like the Uni-ball Signo RT, which writes more smoothly.

Related review: Paper and Pens.

3 comments:

  1. Just trying uni-ball's Power Tank eco --very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using a 0.4 blue-black Zarasa Clip (not sure if it's a efferent mechanim or gel than a Zarasa, but my clip does look different than the one in your picture). I found it a little scratchy at first, too, but got used to it. I don't know if the difference lies in the ink or the width of the tip, but my Pilot G2 0.5 writes much more smoothly than the 0.4 Zarasa. I use the Zarasa more, though, because I like the grip better (the grip, too, is different than in your photo).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pen I reviewed is just a plain Sarasa and is different than the Sarasa Clip, which has a binder-clip-style clip. I have both versions, and yes, the grips are slightly different as well. I reviewed a 0.7mm Sarasa Clip a while ago (http://apenchantforpaper.blogspot.com/2010/01/zebra-sarasa-clip-07mm-lime-green.html). The 0.5 Pilot G2 is another well-loved, dependable pen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...