The true notebook addict would probably say that it would be impossible to have too many notebooks, but I am not so sure. I have been feeling overwhelmed lately by the number of notebooks that I am currently using, as well as feeling the need to simplify and use fewer notebooks. Here are all of the notebooks that I am using right now:
Top row, left to right:
- A fabric-covered, soft-covered book that is called an "Anything Book." I have had it for years and am currently using it for writing my favourite poems in. I don't like this book: the large size is cumbersome, the fabric cover attracts dust, and the pages do not open flat at all.
- A cheap Hilroy exercise book - Just a basic spiral-bound notebook. I am using it for taking notes in.
- A composition book - This book originally was my journal; later (after I had stopped keeping a journal for a while), I began using it for writing my own poetry in.
- Another composition book, this one from Blueline - This book was a gift, and I would never have bought myself a book with such a garish cover. I have used it for various purposes in the past, and am currently using it for keeping track of the books that I have read.
- Paperblanks journal - This is a beautiful book with a wraparound cover with a magnetic closure. I am using it as a commonplace book - a place to gather quotations and useful information.
- A cheap, hardcover notebook from the dollar store - This one was also a gift. I am using it as my "ink book," a place where I keep writing samples of all of my pens, organized by colour.
- Another plain spiral-bound notebook for taking notes in or writing drafts of blog posts.
- Unlined, pocket-sized Quo Vadis Habana - This is my current journal.
- Lined, pocket-sized Quo Vadis Habana - A notebook for miscellaneous notes and lists, such as lists of ideas for blog posts, lists of pens that I want to buy, etc.
- A small fabric-covered notebook that is another journal - This journal has been kept erratically over the last several years. The first date in it is Sept. 26, 2004 and the last entry was on Mar. 14 of this year.
- My art journal - Made from a recycled dollar-store notebook.
- My sketchbook, also known as the "other journal."