Friday, July 16, 2010

Exploring Colour: Collages

Earlier this year, when I had some extra spare time, I made some colour-themed collages in Photoshop with some of my old photos.  Here is the "red" collage:


The collages were easy to make: All I did was search for the photos that I wanted to use in them, crop down the photos to include just the part that I wanted as well as make them all the same size and shape.  Then I copied and pasted the photos into a new Photoshop document and arranged them in a pleasing pattern to create the resulting collage.  I made ten collages in total, each one for a different colour.

About a year ago, I made a similar series of collages using scissors, glue, and paper in my art journal.  Here is the "blue" collage:


These sorts of collages, whether made of paper or pixels, are fun to make, whether you want to relax on a hot afternoon (the blue one would be especially good for that!), explore colour, or use up some extra paper collage materials.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I do something similar using the photo manager in Webshots. I have collections for blue, purple, green, red, and am starting to collect for yellow.

    I've also begun to collage and this post is great for inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful result. Is there any other free software that allows you to do collages - do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Joni and Palimpsest.

    Joni, I feel so honoured that you have found my post inspiring. Good luck with your own collages.

    Palimpsest, there probably is some free software that would work for this, but I'm very much an amateur when it comes to photo editing, so I have no idea what it would be. I use Photoshop because I learned a bit about how to use it in school and because it was a gift from my mother. Good luck in finding some free software that works for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...