Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mead Journal

This Mead Journal is a fairly acceptable, basic notebook.  The cover is covered with embroidered green cloth.  The sticker on the cover peeled off easily without leaving any residue behind.


The design of the cover may be too "girly" for some; I don't mind it too much, mainly because it is green (my favourite colour), but I would prefer a plainer and more gender-neutral design.  The endpapers are a complementary shade of green, with the Mead logo and relevant information printed on the bottom of the inside back cover:


The lines are about 6.5mm apart, which I think is a reasonable width.  They are black and do not run to the edge of the page, which I do not like - I prefer lines that are a paler, more unobtrusive colour and that run right to the edge of the page.


This design is found in the top lefthand corner of every page spread.  I would prefer that it wasn't there; in my opinion, it's just taking up space that could be better used for writing in.


The pages do not lie particularly flat, but I think that this may improve with use:


The Mead Journal contains a pale green ribbon bookmark; it had been folded into the pages which is why it has a crease in it.  It looks as though it will fray with time, which could be a good or a bad thing, depending on your preference.  The ribbon seems a bit too long, but that can be easily remedied with a pair of scissors.


Finally, and perhaps most importantly, how well do different pens write on the paper?  I tested 7 pens on the paper: a Sharpie Pen, Uni-ball Signo Gel Grip, Pentel Slicci, Uni-ball Jetstream, Pentel EnerGel, Pilot Hi-Tecpoint, and Platinum Preppy, as well as a pencil.  There was some slight feathering with the EnerGel, Hi-Tecpoint, and Preppy, but the pens otherwise wrote quite well.


From the back, although it may not be obvious in this photo, there was moderate bleedthrough with the Hi-Tecpoint, and slight to moderate bleedthrough with the EnerGel and the Preppy, as well as moderate showthrough with the Sharpie Pen and the Signo Gel Grip.


Conclusion: Although far from perfect, the Mead Journal can be an acceptable notebook if you are looking for something basic, are not fussy about the details, and are using primarily pens with "drier" inks.  I already know what I will be using this notebook for, and I will be sharing that with you in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...