Friday, July 23, 2010

Top Five Pens

I thought it was time for an update on the Top Five Pens list.  Keep in mind that these are only the top five pens that I am currently using, not necessarily my top five pens ever. This list reflects my own personal preferences and not necessarily the pens that I would recommend to someone else. This list is subject to change at any moment as I continually discover new pens.


1. Uni-ball Signo DX 0.38mm - green black
 
Although some people have had problems with the green black version of the Signo DX, I (so far) have not.  This is a great pen in nearly every way, but what really makes it number one is the colour: green black may very well be the ideal colour for me.  It has a certain edginess that black, blue black, and blue lack, yet it is still neutral enough that I do not get tired of using it every day.
 
2. Platinum Preppy 03 Fountain Pen - blue black
 
This is my first (and so far only) fountain pen, and so far I am loving it.  I am still thrilled with the idea of owning any fountain pen at all.  I can't wait until the day when I own a more "serious" fountain pen and am buying inks for it.
 
3. Pentel Slicci 0.3mm - blue black
 
This pen has slipped from number one on the previous list, but is still an excellent pen.  I own numerous colours of the Pentel Slicci, but the blue black is probably my favourite one for everyday use.  These fine point pens are excellent for jotting notes in the margin or for any situation where small writing is needed.
 
4. Pentel EnerGel Needle Tip 0.5mm - blue
 
I knew that this pen would end up on this list as soon as I tried it.  It writes smoothly, has a needle tip, the blue ink is a vibrant colour, and it doesn't feather and bleed as much as my other liquid ink pens do.
 
5. Sharpie Pen Grip - black
 
The Sharpie Pen has also slipped on the list, from number two to number five, mainly because I haven't been using it as much.  I still think it's a great pen, and I'm replacing the standard version with the Grip version on the list for now - although only time will tell if it will remain.
 
If you're interested, check out the previous edition of my top five pens, and stay tuned for the upcoming list of my five worst pens!

10 comments:

  1. That Preppy is a fantastic pen for $3, isn't it? It writes as well as half or more of my "serious" fountain pens.

    By the way, I responded to the comment you left at my blog..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only started using a fountain pen quite recently and a whole new world opened up to me. My current favourite is a Pilot Capless which is also known as a Pilot Vanishing Point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Preppy is a great pen for beginning fountain pen users: it is inexpensive and writes well. I am still trying to decide what my next one will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Preppy is a great fountain pen, period. It still outperforms a lot of my more expensive pens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been searching for a needle point pen with a very sharp and fine point. I've purchased several so-called "extra fine" and "super fine" pens only to be disappointed one more time. My goal is to write very small script on the margins of books. Even a 0.3mm from a forgettable brand at Staples was still too bold. Any suggestions for a truly "fine" tipped pen under $5 would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

    -Pennless in TN
    TNcash@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pennless, I'd recommend a fine-tipped gel pen such as the Pentel Slicci or the Pilot Hi-Tec-C, both of which are available in 0.25mm and larger sizes. Unlike some other pens, which may say that they are "fine," these pens really are. I find a 0.3mm Pentel Slicci excellent for marginalia myself. You will probably only be able to find these pens online, such as at www.jetpens.com, where they sell for $3 each. Most Staples stores carry the Pilot G-Tec-C, which is essentially the same as the Hi-Tec-C, although I have only seen it available in 0.4mm (and in a 2-pack, about $7) at Staples.

    I hope this is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maido Stationery does sell the super fine tips at retail - and it's very cool to be able to try them out before buying - but you have to live in San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, or New York.

    I like super fine, but they don't write as smoothly as the more normal widths.

    The finest pen I've found at the big chains is the uni-ball signo RT 0.38mm (at Office Max).

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is nice to try pens out before buying, but most of the time for me (since I live in a rural area), this is not possible. And I agree, often smoothness is lost with the very fine tip pens, but I suppose that's simply the price you have to pay. Good luck in your search for super-fine pens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always loved the black pilot permaball.... but they have stopped making it. I recently saw several blogs mentioning tatooed legos with a new extra fine pilot pen, but I can't find out what that pen is! Anywone got any ideas? I really want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Franstuff, I'm not sure what that pen would be. Perhaps some other readers/commenters have some ideas?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...