Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Further Tests in the New Rhodia Webnotebook

Although I reviewed the Rhodia Webnotebook last week, I still wanted to do some further tests in the book with watercolours and other media.  Well, I don't actually own all that many interesting art supplies to test, but I did finally get around to testing the ones that I do own.

In the first test, I used a Uni-ball Fusion rollerball (just because it was the first pen I grabbed out of the drawer) to draw a mandala.  I then used watercolour pencils to colour the mandala, applied water to blend the colours together, and added some final details with a Staedtler Triplus Fineliner.


The pens wrote very well on the paper.  Because of the smoothness of the paper, however, I found it hard to lay down a thick layer of colour with the watercolour pencils.  The colours blended very well when I added water, yet the resulting mandala appeared somewhat pale and washed out (see other watercolour pencil mandalas in my Heinz Jordan Permanent Sketch Book here and here).  The paper did, of course, warp after the water was applied.  It wasn't that bad, but I've seen better.

In the second test, I used paint markers and ordinary pencil crayons to create another mandala.


The paint markers glided on wonderfully (but they write on everything) and the colours were brilliant on the off-white paper.  However, with these pencil crayons as well as with the watercolour pencils, I felt that I had to press down harder than usual on the paper to get a thick, dark layer of colour, and I didn't really enjoy using the pencils on this paper.  Again, this is probably due to the thinness of the paper.

Overall, pencils are probably not ideal for this notebook.  Watercolours can be used if you don't mind the warping and plan to only use one side of the page.  But if you work mainly in pen or marker, then this notebook will be an excellent choice.

(And in case you were wondering, I still haven't decided what I'm going to use my Webbie for.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...