Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Homemade Pencil/Pen Cases

I have never been able to find the ideal pencil case.  Excessive numbers of pockets and pouches are too confusing, while single, large, deep pockets swallow pens into their depths, never to be seen again.  The ones that I liked best were those that rolled up, but the price of the one I wanted (the 122KCal Roll Pencil Case found at JetPens) was higher than I wanted to pay, especially after taking into account taxes and shipping.

And the design of this pencil case looked so simple.  What if I just made my own?


Well, I actually enlisted my mother to help me make this one, as she is much more of a sewer than I am.  We found some sturdy fabric in a colour I liked (I think it cost about 10 cents at our local thrift shop) and some thinner fabric in a complementary colour for the liner.  We based the design of the pencil case on the 122KCal Roll and, although there were a few false starts where fabric was cut to the wrong size, we eventually ended up with this:


It is about 13 inches long and 7 inches high and includes 5 pockets, each of which holds 2-4 pens, depending on the size of the pens.  The case would not hold standard-length wooden pencils, but obviously if you made this yourself you could adjust the dimensions.  With the top flap (which prevents the pens from falling out) lifted, the case looks like this:


I really love this pencil case (actually more of a pen case) and I can't wait to start using it when I return to university in September.  (I'm such a nerd, I'll probably be showing it off to everyone.)  I am very thankful to my mother for making this for me.

My mother actually enjoyed making this case so much that she offered to make me another one, which is very similar to the first version, although with rounded corners:


This was meant to be the "new and improved" version, but I think I actually like the original best.  Still, I love both cases and, as you can see, I already have them stuffed full of pens.  I think that I will use one to hold pens that I carry with me to class and one to hold pens that stay at home.  Of course, that is still not enough to hold all of the pens I own...

13 comments:

  1. Very nice! Kudos to your Mom! I've been eyeing the 122KCal roll too and wondered if it could be reproduced at home. I think I'll enlist the help of M-I-L who is an expert seamstress. I'd probably sew my thumb to the material or something equally awful. Blood-stained pen rolls are *such* a downer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Speck, and good luck with your own pen case experiments! And avoid the blood stains :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a similar case for knitting needles.... but never thought of it in terms of pencils. Great idea, especially for drawing pens. I'm always misplacing them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou, I'm sure this case could be adapted to hold all sorts of different items - pens, pencils, knitting needles, who knows? Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just delightful! I'm glad I stopped by!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Rose! I'm glad you stopped by as well and I hope you do so again in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea! I always worry about inking up the inside of my purse and use a little bag I bought from jetpens, but this looks like a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I might even try sewing one myself... but that's a stretch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this case and the fabric you chose. So nice of your mom to help you! I have something similar for crochet hooks and it's nice to roll out and see all ones tools -- or pens, as it were. Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool! Have you ever considered selling this on Etsy? I Googled looking for a "manly pencil case" and found yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Manly" - that's rather funny as I would never have chosen that adjective to describe this pencil case. But I certainly not call it "girly" either. It's probably fairly gender-neutral. As for Etsy, my mom made these for me, so that would have to be her decision!

      Delete
  12. Your pen roll is exactly what I am looking for!!! It's awesome! and super special that your Mom made it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...