Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pilot FriXion Ball 0.7mm Green

When I reviewed my first erasable pen (the Color-Pencil-Like version of the FriXion), I was skeptical of the very idea of an erasable pen.  Why not just use a pencil?  But erasable pens are starting to grow on me, so much so that I thought I'd try out the Pilot FriXion Ball, which is readily available at most stores in my area.


The Pilot FriXion Ball writes very similarly to the Color-Pencil-Like, but it is much more comfortable to use.  The Color-Pencil-Like had no grip whatsoever, while the Ball has a very nice tapered grip that is, I think, one of the best that I have used.

It writes very smoothly, and would be great to use even if you didn't care about the erasable part.  The green ink was a surprise - instead of the bright green I was expecting, it is more of a dull greyish green.  It is not necessarily displeasing, just different.

The position of the eraser has been mentioned by many other reviewers - it is on the end of the pen rather than on the cap.  When the cap is posted on the end of the pen the eraser is inaccessible.  Every time you want to erase something, you have to move the cap.  Rather annoying.

The eraser itself works reasonably well, although you do have to work at it more than you would with an ordinary pencil eraser, and after erasing, I could still see a (very faint) greenish tinge to the paper.

Overall, the Pilot FriXion Ball is a fairly nice pen, although if it was 0.5mm or smaller rather than 0.7mm I would like it even more.  I see that JetPens does have the 0.5mm version of the FriXion Ball as well as the 0.4mm FriXion Point, a pen that I would like to try.  Has anyone tried the Pilot FriXion Point and, if so, what did you think of it?

Related reviews: Pocket BlondeOfficeSupplyGeekGood Pens, Imy's World, The Pen Addict (1), The Pen Addict (2), The Pen-Guin.

6 comments:

  1. darn it Heather! as soon as I read this post I ran down the hallway to the university bookstore to buy one!

    I actually prefer slightly wider nibs when it comes to non-fountain pens so I really like the feel of it. I'm not sure what I think about the erasable ink. I bought one in light green to edit papers, but I think I'll try one in a darker colour for sketching - I wonder what it would be like to wash watercolor over it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for "making" you buy another pen, Sophie!

    I didn't think of trying this one with watercolour, but you've made me curious - I think that I might have to try it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the Frixion Point .04 from Jet Pens and I love it...works especially nicely on the paper in Moleskine products. i like the black one and the blue (as opposed to blue-black). The erasable gels just aren't quite vivid enough for me, but I love the ability to erase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me awhile to get used to an erasable pen, but I am really liking mine now - it can come in very handy to be able to erase the ink. Glad to hear you're liking your Frixion Points - I might add one to my next JetPens order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the 0.7mm one in red all the time to correct papers - couldn't live without it! It does, however, sometimes leave a black mark when erasing. Don't know what that is caused by because sometimes it erases really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Anonymous! My guess for the black marks is that they might by caused by some dirt or debris on the "eraser" because that has caused a similar thing to happen to me when erasing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...