Friday, August 20, 2010

The Scrapbook Journal

A while ago, I bought a huge spiral-bound sketchbook (it's 11 x 14 inches).  There's nothing special about it, although it does have sturdy covers, an elastic closure, and fairly heavy paper.  I never planned to actually sketch in it - I am using it instead as my scrapbook journal.


A scrapbook journal is a place for all those bits and pieces of paper that you accumulate: clippings from magazines, old greeting cards, old calendar pages, small drawings and doodles, and all sorts of odds and ends and paper scraps.  Some of these things I use in collages, but others I like just as they are and I don't want to see them cut up, painted on, or otherwise altered.  So I came up with the idea of a scrapbook journal.  It is something like a commonplace book, but for images rather than for words.


I glue each piece of paper into the book and I write beside it a few sentences about why I have saved it, why I like it, and what it means to me.  I write the date at the end of each entry.  Because the pages are so large, I am leaving lots of white space around the images and words instead of stuffing each page full.  I love the way the pages look - they have a calm, quiet look about them - and I am sure I will enjoy reading these pages and looking at the images in years to come.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Julie. Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really great idea. I've done a lot of gluebooking in my time (http://melydia.zoiks.org/2010/05/cutting-and-pasting/) but never bothered to write down why I kept such-and-such piece of paper. That's a really great idea. I'll have to try it - thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment and link, Melydia. I'm glad that I have inspired you and I also enjoyed looking at the photos of your own gluebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this idea and your link - really could use this for all my bits of this and that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Susan. I hope this idea works for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...