Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Checking In: Sketchbooks, Gluebooks, Art Journals


I've been keeping this book lately.  Cutting out bits of paper, pictures from magazines, old drawings and mandalas, out-of-focus photos from ages ago, squares of scrapbooking paper and wrapping paper, gluing them on the pages of this huge (11 by 14 inches) sketchbook I have.  I have no real purpose, I'm just gluing down things that appeal to me at the moment - colours, images, patterns.  No real themes.  Jot down a few words on the page, random thoughts that happen to be floating through my mind, comments on the images.  The words might not be added until weeks after the papers were glued down.  No plan at all.


I'm not sure what to call this book.  Art journal doesn't seem quite right.  Scrapbook would probably be more accurate, but probably means certain things to certain people that it doesn't mean to me.  I'm rather liking the term gluebook, which I encountered on a blog somewhere or other in the last few years.  That's all this book really is, after all, a place for gluing bits of paper onto pages.

I haven't been keeping a regular art journal for months, not since I finished my last one sometime in the spring (and which I still haven't got around to blogging about!).  I haven't been doing much art at all lately, other than gluing pieces of paper together in my gluebook, which I'm not sure really counts.  (Okay, I'm sure that a bunch of you are going to leave comments that it does count!)  I finally managed to draw a couple mandalas in my sketchbook (the one I actually do sketches and drawings in) this month.  Here is one of them: the title of it is Unravelling, which rather describes how my life has been feeling lately.


My, it has been a while since I last stopped in here, hasn't it?  Ah, the joys of my last semester at university!  At this point, I have less than an hour left of classes this week, and in a little over two weeks I'll be done exams and heading home!  I should have more time to blog then.  And to make art.  And to write (since apparently I'm writing a novel).  And to take photos.  And to go for walks.  And do any number of other things that I've been wanting to do this semester but haven't had time for.  And I should actually go about looking for a job as well....


I know I mentioned in my last post about changing my focus here at A Penchant for Paper, but I'm still not sure where I'm going with that.  Don't expect any immediate changes.  I'm good at making promises in blog posts and then not following through with them.  My "new focus" isn't a promise.  It's more of a possibility.  A suggestion to myself.  It will probably end up being one of those things that just changes so gradually that it is almost imperceptible.  Who knows what might happen?

Just like my gluebook, there wasn't really any plan to this blog post.  I just wanted to check in, let you all know that I'm still here, and new posts are forthcoming... eventually.  And I couldn't let November go by without any posts, could I?  Many thanks to all the new followers who have joined lately!  And thanks as well to the old followers, commenters, readers, and lurkers.  I always appreciate your support!

6 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool. I'm going to have to do that! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of a "gluebook". That´s something I could do. Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea! I think it could make a great de-stresser too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timing is everything. I just stopped here and saw your work and your "gluebook" and I'm "adopting" the word as well because it is absolutely what my journal has turned into!!!!
    And your entry made me feel ok/good about it. typically I write and write or draw and draw but over the past couple months, my journal has morphed into your most appropriate term: a gluebook. In fact, believe it or not, I just put archival glue sticks and gesso (clear) on my Xmas list!

    Don't stop blogging. Direction doesn't matter. This is a great spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the term glue book. I am new to art journaling. I did a bit of scrapbooking before. Since starting art journaling I have come across some great journal pages on the web of people that have used collage in their art journals. I like to try that, but don't know where to start. You have solved my problem. I will get an art journal and just randomly start gluing pictures and stuff in the journal that I like. It must have been meant to be that I stumbled onto your blog today. As you said it does not matter why you are doing it, and where it is going. Time will tell. Just do it for the fun of it. Thank you for your inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy I am happy to have found your blog and read this post. Glue book journaling is really drawing me in. Must go and get a good glue stick and start some glueing its not like I have nothing to put into a journal just need to find it and just do it. That's my phrase for 2012 JUST DO IT
    Cheers from Carol Ashburton New Zealand

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...