Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pen Storage: Horizontal or Vertical?

This is a follow-up to my earlier post on pen storage.  I want to know: is it best to store pens horizontally or vertically?  And does the answer vary depending on the type of pen that is being considered (fountain pen, ballpoint, gel pen, etc.)?  And, if pens are stored vertically, should they be stored tip up or tip down?


My mom, who primarily uses ballpoints, swears by storing her pens vertically, point downwards, in a pen cup.  This practice has, on occasion, led to globs of ballpoint pen ink being deposited in the bottom of the cup.  In contrast, I've always stored my pens horizontally, thinking it was the safest option, although an acquaintance once suggested that was the reason why some of my gel pens developed air bubbles in their ink cartridges.

So now I turn to you, readers: what is the best solution?  Are pens best stored horizontally or vertically?  Or does it even matter at all for some types of pens?

10 comments:

  1. These questions are tougher than they sound, Heather. Vertical storage can mean you can't find the pen you want because it's encircled by other writing gear. Horizontal storage consumes desktop and drawer space.

    I'll use pencil cups, or the equivalent, despite the potential for damaging lead pipes (on mechanical pencils), or sticking yourself with a point.

    Jack/Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use vertical storage for all my pens...tip down...except for the fountain pens. I store those horizontally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to keep most pens and markers stored horizontally, and only keep a few vertically while in use on cups on my desk. I recall at one point it was recommended that Pitt Artist pens should be best stored horizontally, so I usually go with that approach if storage space allows it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was told to always store my fountain pens vertically (tip up) so that the ink does not clog the nib if I am not using in often enough, and so that the ink does not leak out of the tip. With Pigma micron pens they suggest storing horizontally. It seems all my other pens end up vertically in a cup on my desk, tips up and down - no rhyme or reason there :)

    Take care,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Vicki I store my fountain pens nib towards the sky. However, all my other pens are stored horizontally in a drawer. Interesting question. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right now, my pens are all stored horizontally in a giant pencil box I got a couple years ago. I'm definitely curious on the best way to store pens though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plastic-tipped points (Sharpie Pens, Microns, etc.) usually work best for me when I store them horizontally. Point-down, and the ink is over-pigmented for a time; point-up, and they feel dry.

    I've had the best luck with gel pens being stored point-down, especially finicky ones like Gelly Rolls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely horizontally. I like to see them in their clear cases organized by the brand. It's my one way to control my hoard. They also stack very nicely in my closet. The purle pens I keep in one smaller horizontal case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Four months ago I read a blog that said to store fountain pens point down. I've been doing that since and they are wet when I start them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use to store them horizontally, even pencils. Some of my pens are used just once every two weeks so ink can flow well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...