Monday, February 27, 2012

Pentel EnerGel 0.7mm Black

What, you say, is this yet another review of an EnerGel pen?  Yes, I reply, I fully admit that it is.  I can't help it, I love these pens, and in my defense I submit that I haven't yet reviewed this exact version of the EnerGel.  I've reviewed the 0.5mm needle-point version in blue, and the 0.7mm retractable version in red, and a review of the 0.35mm EnerGel Euro is forthcoming, but this one is simply the standard 0.7mm version in black.  It is also probably the one that you would be most likely to encounter in the average office supply store.



Like the other versions of the EnerGel, this one writes obscenely smoothly, and the colour is vivid and intense.  No washed-out or grey tones for this pen - this must surely be one of the blackest blacks around.  The ink is relatively fast-drying, which is another bonus.  I don't find the conical-tip rollerball of the 0.7mm quite as fun to write with as the needle-point of the 0.5mm, but that is merely a personal preference.  If you like bolder pens and have larger handwriting than I do (my handwriting is quite small so I prefer fine-tipped pens), then this one is for you.


As another plus, this pen is part of Pentel's Recycology program, which means that it is made of at least 50% recycled materials by weight.  Although I don't believe that most recycled items are quite as ecologically friendly as companies would have us think, recycling is still probably a better option than simply creating more landfills or letting things accumulate in the Pacific Garbage Patch.


The barrel of the 0.7mm Pentel EnerGel is printed with the gentle reminder "recap after use", which always vaguely amuses me.  The body is a silvery grey colour, as compared to the light blue of the 0.5mm and the darker blue of the EnerGel Euro.  The cap of the 0.7mm also has a more angular shape than the cap of the 0.5mm.  I think I prefer the 0.5mm cap, but that is a very minor issue and one that I didn't even notice until I had the pens sitting side by side.  The ink colour is indicated by the colour of the cap and the grip, while a helpful window shows the ink supply.  As with all the EnerGel pens, I find the appearance of the pen pleasing, but not overly exciting.

A family portrait.  Comparison, from top to bottom, of the 0.7mm EnerGel, 0.5mm EnerGel, 0.35mm EnerGel Euro, and 0.7mm EnerGel RT.
Overall, the 0.7mm Pentel EnerGel is a great, classic pen, as are all of its siblings.  I highly recommend it if you're looking for a good-quality basic writing pen, although if you prefer finer-tipped pens I'd suggest the 0.5mm (or smaller sizes) over the 0.7mm.  The EnerGel, in whichever of its incarnations you prefer, is one pen that shouldn't disappoint.

5 comments:

  1. Heather, this is one of my absolute favorite pens, especially the EnerGel X version. Nice to see somebody else who appreciates its extremely smooth writing. Thanks for giving it some extra attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the EnerGel X yet, but given how much I love the ordinary EnerGel pens, I should do so. And considering how popular the EnerGel appears to be, I was surprised to see that relatively few reviews existed of this version. Extra attention for this pen is a good thing!

      Delete
  2. I discovered the Pentel EnerGel pen at a supermarket when the cashier handed me one to write a check. I immediately noticed the smooth-flowing action and overall superior performance of the pen. I looked closely at it to see what type it was so I could get some and it has been my favorite pen ever since that incident several years ago.

    In clicking around, it appears the pen might have now been restyled with a "new slimmer design."

    ReplyDelete
  3. For smooth fast writing, i have found no better ink than the energel. I prefer the 0.7 needle tip for most tasks, but the 0.5 is great as well. I buy the needle tip refills and put them in zebra gr8 pens (which are extremely cheap but come with horrible ink) because i prefer the size and feel of the zebra retractable pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that tip! I didn't even know you could buy refills for the EnerGel; I'll have to check that out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...