Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pentel EnerGel Euro 0.35mm Black

I've reviewed quite a few incarnations of the Pentel EnerGel here in the past, but this one, the Pentel EnerGel Euro in 0.35mm, will probably be the last one I'll review in a while.  Fittingly, it is also probably my favourite of the EnerGel pens that I have used.


The main reason for this one being my favourite is that 0.35mm needlepoint tip.  I love fine-tipped pens (i.e., anything 0.5mm or less) generally, and I especially love needlepoints, which makes this pen just about perfect.  However, being a "liquid gel ink pen" (whatever that means, other than being a way to hopelessly confuse me as to whether this is a liquid ink pen or a gel ink pen), the line width of this pen appears slightly wider than that of a comparable gel pen.  Based on some comparisons, I would say that this 0.35mm EnerGel Euro writes more like a 0.5mm gel pen.  Not that I really mind.  This pen is terrific.  It writes with a deep black, fine, crisp line, and did I mention that it is very smooth?  It's not quite as smooth as the 0.7mm EnerGel, but for 0.35mm (or even 0.5mm), it is amazing.  Heavenly, even.


As you've probably noticed from the title of this post, this pen is not an ordinary EnerGel, but an EnerGel Euro.  The puzzling thing about that is that the pen itself is not actually marked "EnerGel Euro" but just "EnerGel", which makes me wonder whether it really is an EnerGel Euro or if the whole "Euro" thing is just a conspiracy to make us all think that this pen is something shockingly different than the "real" EnerGel.  It is all very mysterious.  Still, JetPens calls this pen an EnerGel Euro, and that is what I bought it as, so I suppose I shall have to trust them.


My confusion is further complicated by the fact that there aren't really any substantial differences between this pen and the standard EnerGel pens.  It is very similar in appearance, being only slightly shorter and slimmer.  It has the same basic, slightly textured grip, the same lid design, the same band across the middle labelling it as a Pentel pen.  The EnerGel Euro is available in 0.35mm, 0.5mm, 0.7mm, and 1.0mm, and all versions have the same dark blue body, while the EnerGel has different body colours for 0.5mm and 0.7mm (light blue and silver).  I'm also not sure whether the normal EnerGel is available in 0.35mm, but the EnerGel Euro certainly is.  One small feature I miss in the Euro is the clear window to see the ink level.  All the EnerGel Euro has is a tiny gap between the grip and the body of the pen that allows you to peek in.  Just like the EnerGel, the EnerGel Euro is also part of Pentel's Recycology line (i.e., it's made of at least 50% recycled materials), which is another plus if that's important to you.

From top to bottom: 0.7mm EnerGel, 0.5mm EnerGel, 0.35mm EnerGel Euro, 0.7mm EnerGel RT.

I'd love it if the Pentel EnerGel Euro came in a wider selection of colours, but for now I'll just have to settle with black, blue, and red.  I'm not really complaining though.  I really do love this pen.  It is fun to use, and effortless to write with.  It is a great addition to the EnerGel line, and I highly recommend it, especially if you are looking for an easy introduction to the world of sub-0.5mm pens.

Related reviews: OfficeSupplyGeek, The Pen Addict, No Pen Intended, Gourmet Pens, Ink2Paper.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I recently tried this one myself (Thank you for linking to my review!) and I also loved it!! I can only imagine the possibilities if it had more colors.. *drool*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...