Friday, June 8, 2012

ICAD Week 1: Showing Up + Waterbrush Love

Index cards 1-7 from week 1 of Daisy Yellow's Index-Card-a-Day Challenge 2012.
The first week of ICAD has passed, and I have successfully created an index card for every day.  My greatest surprise with this challenge so far is how easy it has been to create an index card's worth of art every day.  I was worried that I might have a hard time simply remembering the index cards, but I have had no problems with that at all.  I keep the stack of blank index cards sitting on my desk where I can easily see them, and before beginning, I went through the stack and wrote the dates on all of the cards.  Now, all I need to do is glance at the stack and if the top card has today's date on it and it's still blank, then I know that I need to work on it!

So far my motto has been the words I printed on the card for Day 3: "Just show up and create."  Just show up.  Don't over-think it.  Don't make it more complicated than it really is.  Just show up and create something.  Anything.  It doesn't matter what it is.  It doesn't have to be great art.  Just anything.  Just don't leave that index card blank!

I have also been surprised by how often I have been reaching for my watercolour pencils in making these cards: I used them on six out of seven cards for this week.  Ever since I bought my Pentel Aquash Waterbrush, using my watercolour pencils has been so much easier and enjoyable that I can't use them enough.  I would definitely recommend the combination of watercolour pencils + waterbrush for anyone who wants to get started in watercolours.

(For the curious, the words in Index Card 6 are from this poem by John Donne, a poem that Neil Gaiman also used as an epigraph to his novel Stardust.)

That's it for week 1!  Stay tuned for next week's update to week 2, and check out Daisy Yellow's site if you need more information about ICAD.  Remember, you can get started with it at any time!

9 comments:

  1. I love that and agree...just show up!!!! I am loving this challenge, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your "just show up and create" motto!
    Your cards are lovely, especially like the falling star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your watercoloring is beautiful. I love all the colors and designs you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just show up! Isn't that the truth .. in more than just ICADs!!! Great cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow girl, just wow. I love each and every one of your cards. I love the motto of just show up and create, that's what I find too, if I show up something winds up happening on my cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely cards. I really like your mandalas. You got it - just show up and create.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy moly, what a pile of delicious creativity! I just love all these fabulous cards and I also love my Inktense pencils and waterbrush - good results almost every time. I'm having a blast with this challenge and I can see you are too! Looking forward to more. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Motto of "Just showing up"! Creative....Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...