Friday, June 22, 2012

ICAD Week 3: Sketches + Doodles

Index cards 15-21 from week 3 of Daisy Yellow's Index-Card-a-Day Challenge 2012.
The third week of ICAD has come around and brought with it seven more completed index cards.  This week was also my first chance to practice creating index cards "out."  On Wednesday and Thursday nights we were camping at a nearby lake.  I brought my watercolour pencils and water brush with me and was able to create the last two cards above while sitting on my lawn chair.  This also ended up being a great opportunity to practice my sketching skills, with the result that I created my first two cards that are not abstract.  When I sketch, I focus more on capturing the basic shapes and colours rather than the details, and I am actually quite pleased with these ones.  Although they were fairly fast sketches, they are still not bad representations of the hills, trees, snags, reflections, and water of the lake.  These were created mainly with my watercolour pencils and super-fine Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pen, although I also used my white Uni-ball Signo Broad gel pen to add some of the white details at the end.

The doodle in card 5 is based on a design that I used to draw obsessively when I was younger.  It was fun to revisit an old design in that way, and the curving lines were very relaxing to draw and colour.  The quote in card 4 is from Albert Einstein, and is one that, since I was a science student at university, I have first-hand knowledge of and always makes me smile.  Finally, the poem in card 1 is a "found poem" created with words snipped from magazines.

And again, if you need more information about ICAD, check out Daisy Yellow's ICAD FAQ.  Thanks for all your great comments, and stay tuned for next week's cards!

[See all ICAD posts.]

3 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS mandala, but love all your cards! I adore doodles, and also watercolor, so these are right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful cards. They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love these cards. They are stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...