Saturday, June 30, 2012

June Miscellany: From Green Pens to Scheduling Your Life

I began "monthly miscellany" posts about a year ago at my other blog, and I've found them rather fun to compile, so I'm going to start writing them for this blog as well.  Basically, my monthly miscellany is a collection of interesting links, thoughts that don't get developed into full posts, and other miscellaneous items.  Enjoy!
  • At the beginning of this month, I shared my collection of green pens, pencils, and other stationery items.  Well, as it turns out, I actually wrote a similar post on my green pens in the first months of this blog.  Amazingly, that collection only included eight pens and a highlighter!  I can't believe how much my collection has grown in the three years since I began this blog.  And my list of pen reviews has grown to include reviews of over 59 different pens, highlighters, markers, and mechanical pencils.  Not too bad, I say.
  • The Pen Addict, whose own list of reviews would doubtlessly make mine look exceedingly wimpy, has posted an updated version of his list of top five pens.  There are two fountain pens on the list, which is a switch from past lists, and also one pen that I find especially intriguing: the Moleskine Roller Pen.  I've never been a particular fan of Moleskine generally, but I've heard some good things about this pen on other blogs.  Have you tried the Moleskine Roller?  What did you think of it?
  • I haven't made any lists of my own top five pens in nearly two years.  I posted two versions of my top five pens in April and July of 2010, but after that I replaced the top five list with my top ten of the year.  I'm thinking now that maybe it would be fun to bring back my top five pens.  Looking at those old lists, I can definitely see some changes I would make now
  • I love this guide to How to Build a Schedule (And Keep Yourself on Track).  I've been looking for ways to become more productive and focused in my work lately, and making a schedule like this may be just what I need.
  • If you've been following my blog lately, you'll know that I recently received my new Lamy Safari in the limited edition green colour.  I'll get around to writing a review of it eventually (after I've used it for a while), but for now you can check out this great review of the same pen at Rants of the Archer.  I also love the gorgeous J. Herbin Vert PrĂ© ink that she used in her writing sample.  Alas, my green Safari still has only its boring blue cartridge that it came with.  I'm going to have to get some nice green ink for it at some point.
  • Planet Millie has a review of a notebook that's also on my wish list: the Leuchtturm1917 notebook.  I love dot grids, but the best part of this notebook is that the pages are numbered!  I'm such a geek that I frequently number all of the pages in my notebook by hand so that I can compile an index for it, so pre-numbered pages would definitely make things easier for me.
  • No Pen Intended has a review of another notebook that I like, the Daycraft Cookie Bookie, although I really have no idea what I would really use such a notebook for.  I just like to look at it.  It looks tasty.
  • Finally, be sure to check out the June Carnival of Pen, Pencil, and Paper (if you haven't done so already).  Two of my visual journal posts showed up in the editor's pick category - and I didn't even submit them to the carnival.  Who knew?
That's all for this month!  Stay tuned for next month's miscellany, and for more great posts and reviews coming up soon, including a post on the shades of orange and my very first review of ERASERS!  I know you can hardly wait for that!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning me :)

    Do you index your journals? I've never found a use for numbered pages in my personal notebooks, and it makes me wonder what other people do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually index my actual journals (although I have done so at least once in the past), but I also use my notebooks to collect my favourite poems and quotations. I usually make an index of authors for those notebooks so that I can easily track down a specific poem or quote. Also, if I want to refer back to a past journal entry, page numbers would also be helpful for that.

      Delete
    2. Oh, like a commonplace book! That makes sense. I keep one on Google Docs so I can search on there for anything I'm looking for (I hope to print it eventually and not have it in a digital version!).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...