Tuesday, July 31, 2012

ICAD Wrap-up + Final Thoughts

Index cards 57-61 from the final days of Daisy Yellow's Index-Card-a-Day Challenge 2012.
So.  It's finally happened.  ICAD 2012 has drawn to a close.  I finished off my final and 61st card this afternoon.  I can't believe I actually did it.  61 index cards.  Two months ago, I thought, "What the heck.  I'll give it a try.  I might not be able to do it, but we'll try it out anyway."  So I did.  And this is the result.

For my final 5 cards, I wanted to do a bit of everything that I liked best about the previous cards, so this is what I ended up with: a bold and colourful mandala with my watercolour pencils (not sure about this one, but it sure is colourful!), a quick sketch of the trees and hills outside my house, a drawing of a dragonfly based off a photo cut from a magazine and glued in the upper left corner of the index card, another mandala, and a final celebratory card which I liberally decorated with gel pen fireworks and star stickers.  Celebrate!  61 days of creating art every day is certainly worth celebrating.

Here are all 61 cards in a stack.  Don't they look nice?


What I liked best about ICAD:

  • It ran for a limited amount of time.  It's one thing to say, "I'm going to create an index card every day, and it's totally another thing to say, "I'm going to create an index card every day for 2 months."  The second has a time limit.  You can count down your remaining cards.  You feel motivated to create a card every day because you know that at the end you can look back at all of them and know that you did it.  You can begin it, and you can also finish it and move on to something else.
  • Index cards are small.  Journal pages are large.  A bit intimidating, especially on those days when your energy is low.  But an index card is small enough that it's easy to just create a tiny bit of art to fill it up.
  • Index cards are cheap and disposable.  You don't have to worry about messing it up, because it's easy to throw it out and start again.  As it turned out, I didn't have to start again with any of my cards but simply having that option made me able to create more freely.
  • And, best of all, now I have a habit of creating art daily again!  I had fallen out of that habit.  My art journal had been untouched for weeks.  My sketchbook had only a few recent entries.  Now, I'm back into the habit of art everyday and I have all sorts of new ideas and plans for future creative endeavours.

Finally, here are all of my cards all laid out together!  (Each row is a week.)  I love looking at them all together like that.  I see a lot of mandalas, and a lot of the colour green, and a lot of drawings from or inspired by nature - in short, a lot of my favourite things!  Enjoy, and I hope to see you all in August!

(Click on the image to view larger.)


[See all ICAD posts.]

5 comments:

  1. These are great..what a fun accomplishment. I'm curious - what will you do with the cards now that you've finished? Will frame any? Bind them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure what I'll do with them! I want to keep them all together, so I probably won't be framing any separately. I think I'll probably look for a small photo album or something like that to keep them in. If that doesn't work out, then I'll probably just store them in a nice wooden recipe box. But having them in an album would be the best option for me, I think, as it would be the easiest way to look back at them in the months and years to come.

      Delete
  2. Wheee! Congratulations! What a wonderful post to wrap things up (and your celebrate card is the perfect finale)! It is great to see your pile and then to see them displayed all together - fun, fun, fun!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, first ♥CONGRATULATIONS♥ fellow ICAD-completer!!! :) :) :)

    second: HOLY WOW, those last five are sooooo flippin' awesome! i love BOTH mandalas... i adore the pine trees... the dragon fly totally rocks... and now i wish i'd done something celebratory/thankful for *my* last card!!! (i might need a 62nd, i think!)

    third: agree strongly on all your conclusions, especially #3; it's the FREEDOM part that kinda seals the deal! :)

    fourth: i absolutely LOVE the way your cards look all laid out NEXT TO each other in rows!!! it's making me think that next year i will NOT bind mine into a book as i go... it's kind of even making me want a HUUUUUUGE bulletin board so i can display them as i go along... (i'm already thinking about NEXT year, lol!)

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cards look great, and I love the look of the finished stack of 61...what a great accomplishment! I found a little box that holds mine, with enough room to accommodate next summer's additions! Very fun to see them all together as a mosaic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...