Friday, August 31, 2012

August Miscellany: Rhodia Pads, Waterbrushes, and Fountain Pens

My monthly miscellany is a selection of links that I have enjoyed reading in the past month, as well as thoughts that don't get developed into full posts.  In this month, we explore Rhodia pads, waterbrushes, fountain pens, and some great lists of pens and journals.
  • Tammy of the wonderful creative blog Daisy Yellow has shared her favourite pens for writing, sketching, doodling, and drawing and her favourite paper and journals for writing, sketching, drawing, and art journaling.  I was happy to see some of my personal favourites on her list, such as Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pens, Sakura Gelly Rolls, Pentel Sliccis, and the white Uni-ball Signo Broad gel pen.  I'm not too fond of Moleskines, and I haven't used any of the other papers or journals mentioned in her second list, but I do want to try out an Exacompta journal or sketchbook at some point.
  • Tammy has also written a great review of the Kuretake Waterbrush, an item which I hope to add to my next JetPens order.  I already own the Pentel Aquash waterbrush, which has become one of my favourite supplies and which I absolutely love to use with my watercolour pencils.  The Kuretake looks like it might be even better than the Aquash, so I can't wait to try that one out as well.  I definitely recommend the combination of waterbrush + watercolour pencils to anyone wanting to get started in watercolours.  They make watercolours incredibly easy and non-intimidating, so much more so than a "real" paintbrush and paints - which, frankly, still intimidate me a bit!
  • Speaking of items that I want to own, I also really want one of these Rhodia Pad Holders.  I don't really need one, since the only Rhodia pad that I currently own simply sits in my desk drawer all the time and so doesn't need the additional protection of a pad holder, but I do very much want one.  Because they just look so awesome and they have a pen loop!
  • And speaking of Rhodia, I really loved the photos of Estivalia's old Rhodia pad next to her new one.  For some reason I always love looking at photos of used notebooks.  They are always so enticing; you cannot help but wonder at what lies inside...  Oh, and this reminds me that I also want to own a Rhodia DotPad.  Again, I don't really need one, it is just that, when it comes to Rhodia, I feel somehow driven to have one of everything.
  • Pentorium has posted the first part of their Fountain Pen Guide Series: Nibs, Feeds, and How They Come Together.  This looks like it will be a very detailed guide that will be helpful to anyone just getting started with fountain pens (like myself), and I look forward to future posts in the series.  It even has a glossary!
  • Check out these ten tips for writing thank you notes.  I must confess that the only time I've ever written thank-you letters was when I received scholarships and awards in university - but maybe I should do so more often.  Especially since I have stacks of cards and notepaper that I hardly ever use.
  • Finally, a reader recently shared this link to a page that describes how to make Origami Pencil Extenders.  I have a few pencil stubs lying around and, while I know that you can buy pencil extenders, it would be fun to make some as well.  And it's origami!  I haven't tried making any of these yet, but if I do, I'll let you know about it, I promise.
That's all for this month!  Stay tuned for September's posts, which include some more pencil reviews and a look into my sketchbook!

3 comments:

  1. Those origami pencil extenders jogged me into thinking of what I sometimes call "duress writing"--explorers' diaries, prison memoirs, soldiers' journals, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my post above. Jack/Ohio. I guess I was thinking of the ways people make do, such as by extending stubby pencils, when there's no nearby stationer. I think there's someone in Arkansas (can't remeber her Web site) who demonstrated that a chopstick dipped in ink makes a workable pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments, Jack! Your description of the chopstick reminds me in turn of how once I wrote with a toothpick dipped in ink. That was a long time ago, and I'm sure a chopstick would work far better. There definitely are lots of ways to fashion writing instruments from everyday objects.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...