Monday, October 15, 2012

Daycraft Juicy Notebook

I'm not usually into excessively cute notebooks or pens, but for some reason I was won over by the (undeniably cute) Daycraft Juicy Notebook.  It is a lined A6 notebook that comes in five different "flavours": pineapple, orange, honeydew melon, watermelon, and strawberry.  I opted for the Strawberry, as strawberries fresh from the garden are one of my favourite foods.

Daycraft Juicy notebook, with packaging.
The Juicy notebook seems (to me) to be very similar to the small Quo Vadis Habana notebook.  Both are A6 size, with cream-coloured pages, and a smooth, flexible cover.  The Habana has nearly 100 more pages, however, at 224 pages as compared to the Juicy's 128 pages.  The cover of the Juicy notebook is "fine Italian PU", otherwise known as polyurethane, and it has a smooth, somewhat shiny surface that is textured with black spots that look like the seeds in a strawberry.  The cover is surprisingly flexible (considerably more so than the Habana), but sturdy and durable.

Left: Daycraft Juicy notebook (top) compared to Quo Vadis Habana.
Right: testing out the flexibility of the cover.
Opening up the Daycraft Juicy notebook reveals the boldly coloured endpapers, which feature a design that roughly resembles a strawberry cut in half lengthwise.  I love the look of patterned and/or coloured endpapers, so I appreciate this, and I also like how the design of the endpapers continues the overall theme of the notebook.

Check out those endpapers!
The notebook also contains a green felt bookmark that, when it is inserted into the book, resembles the leaves of a strawberry - both cute and functional.  Unlike a ribbon bookmark, you can remove this bookmark from the book, so you will need to be careful that you don't lose it.  The Juicy notebook does not have an elastic closure or a back pocket.  The lack of a pocket doesn't bother me, but an elastic closure would have been a nice touch.  It's not a major complaint of course, but I am so used to seeing them in these kinds of notebooks that this notebook looks a bit unfinished without one.

Cute little felt bookmark.
Inside the Juicy notebook, the cream-coloured pages offer 6.5mm ruling (a bit wider than the Habana's 5.5mm ruling and hence better if you have larger handwriting).  The corners of the pages are decorated with cute line drawings of various fruits - pineapples, oranges, strawberries, apples, watermelons, melons, cherries, and bananas.  Although these drawings might get in the way of your writing, they are printed in a light enough ink that you could write over top them if you needed to and still be able to read your writing.  Normally, I don't like it when notebooks contain designs right on the page I'm writing on, but in this case I do, because the drawings are cute but not tacky, directly related to the theme of the notebook, and relatively unobtrusive.

The ruling continues on over top of the drawings so it would be easy for you to write over them - unless you find them so cute that you don't want to cover them up!
I tried out a number of pens in this notebook and discovered that most of them performed quite well.  Only my wettest writing pens, the Uni-ball Vision rollerball pen and the Pilot Petit1 fountain pen, showed the slightest, barely noticeable feathering.  On the back side of the page there was some slight showthrough with most pens, although it was negligible in most cases and would certainly not prevent you from using the back of the page.  The only pen that actually bled through the paper was (of course) the Sharpie marker.  I would have no worries about using any of my pens in this notebook.  My new Lamy Safari with a fine nib performed beautifully in it.  The only pens that might have issues would be wet writing fountain pens or rollerballs with medium or broad nibs, so use caution with those.

Front and back of the writing sample.  And my fingers.
Overall, while the Daycraft Juicy notebook may be cute, it is fully capable of being used for some serious writing.  And if cute is not your thing, don't let that turn you away from checking out the rest of Daycraft's notebooks.  They produce notebooks in a diversity of styles, from cute to classy.  The Daycraft Juicy notebook in particular is a sweet little notebook that would be ideal for keeping in your desk or bag for short notes or journal entries, and it is also one that will lighten your day and maybe even bring a smile to your face when you look at it.  Because who can resist a notebook that looks like a fresh, juicy strawberry?

Related reviews: Gourmet Pens (watermelon), Rants of the Archer (watermelon), Notebook Stories (honeydew melon)

**Disclaimer: This Daycraft Juicy Notebook was generously sent to me for the purposes of review by the folks at Daycraft, but all of my opinions are my own!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, it is an irresistible strawberry! Now I should head over and check it out for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irresistible indeed! Do give it a try, Shangching - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

      Delete
  2. I was totally a sucker for the Juicy series!! The strawberry is so cute. Nicely reviewed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Azizah! It is cute indeed - the only trouble is, whenever I look at for too long, I start craving strawberries to eat!

      Delete
  3. I think these notebooks are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...