Thursday, January 31, 2013

January Miscellany: Watercolours, Pens, and Portraits

A relatively long miscellany this month - as I sit in front of the computer trying to recover from the nasty cold that has attacked me this week...
  • I love Daisy Yellow's writing box.  I have a small pencil case that I use to store my essential supplies in, but I'd love to have something a bit larger that I could take from room to room.
  • iHanna is experimenting with watercolours, something that I'd like to get into more.  These kinds of watercolours do intimidate me much more than the watercolour pencils that I'm used to, but I would like to try them out one day.  I also love the muted green and grey colours that Hanna used.
  • Millie's planner pages are awesome.  They're so colourful, and I love her all of her little doodles and drawings.  My planner pages are so boring.  They're very functional and they work well for me, but they're not very interesting to look at.  I don't think a DIY planner like mine would be ideal for this sort of thing.  If I was going to make my planner look this nice, I think I would prefer a bound book because I would want to keep it afterwards.  An idea for the future...
  • Speaking of colourful, check out Azizah's review of the Rhodiarama notebook.  I love the endpapers, and how the elastic closure is a contrasting colour to the notebook colour. While it seems strange to see a Rhodia notebook that is neither black nor orange, I really want to try one of these out.
  • I think I might like this pen: the Pilot Razor Point II, as reviewed by Economy Pens.
  • And here's a pen that I already know I like: the Marvy Le Pen, as reviewed by Ink of Me Fondly.  And I love her colour selection.
  • Here's a clever idea: tea tag tabs from DIYSara.  I love collecting random bits of ephemera, although I've never collected tea tags (the tea I drink doesn't have tags), and it's great when that ephemera can be used in interesting and useful new projects.
  • I've also been admiring Michelle's new portrait journal (more portraits here and here).  I've been thinking of doing a month-long portrait challenge because they are something I'd like to get better at drawing.  I just don't have time for all of my potential projects...
  • And, finally, yet another review of the limited edition apple green Lamy Safari.  I always enjoy Mary's reviews.  They are clear and concise with great photos and a refreshing sense of humour.  And of course I love the pen as well.
As always, stay tuned for more posts and reviews coming up next month!

9 comments:

  1. Aww thank you for mentioning my review :) As always, I'm in fabulous company! There's some new stuff on here for me to check out too. Oooh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for including my Tea Tag Tabs post. :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the same watercolors as iHanna - Winsor Newton half pans. They snap into the Winsor Newton Cotman 12 pan travel set I have. Very good, transparent colors and being able to swap out colors is very handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the look of these watercolours, and I think the portable nature of them is what appeals to me the most. I should see if I can find some to buy locally...

      Delete
  4. Thanks for mentioning me :) Hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to feel better now, Millie! Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for including my Writing Box! It's my go-to spot on the table... And I will go investigate Sara's tea tag tabs. I use tea bags for art journal collages and the tab idea sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Heather for including a mention of my portrait journal! I had tons of fun with it and it was quick to do (I completed the entire journal in a weekend)...I say go for it! It really doesn't take too much time (the point is to go fast and not fret too much about the results.) Hope you are feeling tip-top by now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather - thanks for sharing one of my postings. And yes, I think you would like the Razor Point II. It's a great, affordable little pen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...