Monday, February 25, 2013

Current Daily Arsenal

Back in the earlier days of this blog, I used to write occasional posts on my daily arsenal or daily supplies - the pens and other supplies that I use every single day.  I haven't written one of those posts in years, so I thought that it was time to do so again.

Surprisingly, the list hasn't actually changed that much over the years, and the number of items out of my entire collection that I use everyday is also surprisingly small.


  1. Bic ballpoint - Shocked to see this as the first item on my list?  Well, despite the fact that I review all sorts of pens that are much better and more fun than this one, I also believe that there is still a place for the basic ballpoint.  I do a lot of "rough" writing - morning pages, handwritten first drafts, brainstorming, notes to myself - and for these activities it helps me to use a pen and paper that I don't care about very much.  It frees me to write without worrying about wasting a good pen or good paper on something that will probably be soon recycled or is less than quality work.  I can scribble things out, rip out pages, doodle in the margins, and it's totally okay.  It also means that when I do use a good pen on good paper I appreciate it even more.  My current basic ballpoint is a Bic Ultra Round Stic Grip in blue, but for this I'll use whatever I find.
  2. My DIY planner - I wrote about my planner extensively a couple months ago, so I'm not going to go into details now, other than to say that this is my main tool to keep myself organized and to keep track of my goals and to-do lists.  I could probably live without it, but I doubt that I would be as productive without it.
  3. Pilot FriXion Point 04 erasable gel ink pens - These are the pens that I use exclusively for writing with in the monthly and weekly planning sections of my planner.  They are fine-pointed (0.4mm), which allows me to fit more writing into the small boxes in my planner, and they are erasable, enabling me to easily make changes to what I've written - something I do often.  I'm currently using three different colours of these pens (blue, orange, and green), which also allows me to colour-code things in my planner.
  4. Sharpie Accent highlighter - I've had this highlighter for years but I've never used it as a highlighter. since the aqua blue colour (which doesn't seem to be available anymore) is too dark for me.  I use it instead to check off items in my planner as I complete them - a simple but positive way for me to mark my progress.
  5. Staples Better Binder - I originally bought this binder to use at university, but now that I'm not a student anymore, I've started using it instead as my writing binder.  I have sections for fiction, poetry, writing exercises, submissions, and more.  While I do most of my writing on the computer, there are certain things that I only write by hand, so I keep the binder well-stocked with lined looseleaf paper.
  6. Mechanical pencil - I always have a basic mechanical pencil to use both for quick notes during the day and for writing in my writing binder.  I'm currently using a Pentel Fiesta mechanical pencil, which is not very interesting but is sufficient for my needs.


That's it!  Despite all of the diverse items that I have reviewed on this blog over the years, these six items are the only items that I actually use every single day.  They're not glamorous, but they are the basics that I return to again and again.  While I do own other supplies (such as the Pentel Slicci, Pentel EnerGel, Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pens, Rhodia Webnotebook, etc.) that I love and use often, I do not use them every day.

What's in your daily arsenal?  What basic supplies do you use every day, even if they're not necessarily fancy or impressive?

12 comments:

  1. There are 3 items in my daily arsenal: a fountain pen (either Waterman Allure or Rotring Silver Initial), a HB Wopex, and a Hi-Tec-C Coleto in 4 colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A multi-pen is a great addition to a daily arsenal, Shangching! I was a bit disappointed in my Coleto, but it's a clever way to carry multiple pens in one compact package.

      Delete
    2. Have you tried Uni-Ball Style Fit or Zebra Prefill? Personally, I think Prefill exceeds my expectation and writes more smoothly than Style Fit.

      Delete
    3. I haven't tried either of those yet, though I've had my eye on the Style Fit for a while now. I'm not totally into multi-pens (probably part of the reason why I didn't hit it off with the Coleto), but I would like to check out some more of them one day.

      Delete
    4. I was not keen on multipens before, but now I am obsessed with them (hopefully in a healthy way). It is convenient to carry multiple colors in one pen, since I am bad at deciding which colors I would like to have for the day. The possibility of customization might be the selling point for me as well. Let me know if you need any suggestions for one of them!

      Delete
  2. How interesting to see your simple and functional daily arsenal! I also just read your post from last year about all the notebooks you use and your desire to eventually simplify down to one notebook. Like me, you seem to be on a never-ending quest to simplify! I currently use about five notebooks/journals, plus six sketchbooks, and still trying to pare those down. But one thing I am pleased about is my daily bag and the daily sketch arsenal it contains, which is now pretty dang slim. :-) You can see the whole thing here:
    http://www.tina-koyama.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-sketch-bag-update.html

    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Tina! I am always on a never-ending quest to simplify. While I love the idea of having only a few core supplies, I also cannot help but keep checking out new and interesting items as well.

      Thanks for your link! I really like how neatly everything fits into your bag.

      Delete
  3. Here's mine from last year;

    http://monkeyphotomcr.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/daily-carry-for-national-stationery-day_24.html

    I've swapped those mechanical pencils for a pair of Faber Castell Perfect Pencils (a 9000 (B) and an HB of the cheapest version). I'm carrying a brushpen and a Uni Pin now too, it's probably time to re-do that post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, John! You have a lot of interesting items in there. I especially like the great cover you have on your Rhodia Pad, and the variety you have in your pens and pencils. I've seen posts on the Faber-Castell Perfect Pencil before, and it seems to be an interesting item as well.

      Delete
  4. Hm.. Sadly I rarely leave the house but when I do, my daily arsenal consists of a Uni-ball Jetstream alpha grip. Shock! Not a fountain pen?! I know. Why? I can't pick just one. And I can't pick just one ink. So I avoid the whole stressful mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Azizah! I don't take my pens out of the house much either, but when I do, I usually choose a ballpoint or gel pen over a fountain pen as well. For me, I'd be more worried about the potential of losing it or dropping and damaging it.

      Delete
    2. :D I love that!

      I have a couple of FPs that I know can stand harsh usage, and would be easily replaced, so I carry those - either a Lamy Vista (Lamy Black) Schneider Base (Waterman Havana Brown at the moment) or Kaweco Sport (Pelikan blue/black).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...