Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dong-A Miffy Scented Gel Ink Pen 0.5mm

The Dong-A Miffy is a 0.5mm scented gel ink pen, something I've never used before.  I chose the colours green and lavender purple and, while I do have a relatively poor sense of smell, I can detect only the faintest glimmer of scent from the green ink.  The lavender purple is more strongly scented, but is still fairly mild and doesn't (to me) smell anything like lavender.  If you're looking for a good scented pen, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.  Luckily, I wasn't, and, apart from that, these are surprisingly nice pens.


They write very smoothly, and the colours are bright and vivid.  For some strange reason, I have relatively few 0.5mm gel pens.  For my handwriting, 0.5mm is just about the ideal size for everyday writing - not so large that my handwriting turns into a mess, and not so fine that I end up writing absurdly small.  The only real complaint I have about the way these pens write is that, similar to the Pilot Hi-Tec-C, they can sometimes be a bit slow to get started and you may need to scribble on a scrap of paper for a few seconds to get the ink flowing.  Although I do find this slightly annoying, it's a relatively minor issue and a small price to pay for the otherwise great writing experience.

As for the ink colours themselves, the green is a fairly standard colour, but the lavender purple is a bit different.  It's a pale bluish purple shade that is still dark enough to read easily.

(Apologizes for the horrid washed-out photo.)

In appearance, the Dong-A Miffy is similar to the more well-known Hi-Tec-C, with its clear plastic barrel, lack of a grip, and needle-point tip, although the barrel of the Dong-A Miffy is round while the Hi-Tec-C's barrel is faceted.  And at only $1.10 each, the Dong-A also costs substantially less than the Hi-Tec-C at $3.30.  The clear barrel of the pen is printed with tiny apples and two cute bunnies (Miffy herself, I assume).  While these graphics may not be to everyone's liking, they're small enough that I don't really notice them and they don't bother me.


The grip of the Dong-A Miffy is completely smooth plastic, without even the grooves that the Hi-Tec-C has, so this pen would probably not be very comfortable to use for long writing sessions.  And, since I grip my pens very low on the barrel, I also have a problem with the shape of the nib section, which has a rather prominent ridge that occasionally rubs uncomfortably against my finger.  It probably wouldn't become a major problem unless I was writing for a long period of time, and, of course, if you hold your pen differently you won't notice anything at all.  One of my favourite things about this pen is the cap, which slides securely into place on both ends of the pen with a very satisfying click!


Overall, while the Dong-A Miffy is not perfect, I still think it is a great pen.  It may be a scented pen with cute bunnies on it, but don't let that prevent you from taking it very seriously indeed.  It writes well enough to compete with the more well-known pens, and I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a cheaper alternative to the 0.5mm Pilot Hi-Tec-C or if you're simply looking to try out a new, fun gel pen.  Despite my forays into fountain pens, I must admit that gel pens are still my favourite pens for general everyday writing, and I was really pleased with the way this one performed.  It's worth a try.

Related reviews: Gourmet Pens, Andy McNally, Hey Matthew, Ms. B's Bonnet.

12 comments:

  1. I always take my cute pen seriously (be there bunnies or not) and your post just reminds me that I have a 7-year old miffy refill in my drawer (sweet olive scent) and no pen to tuck it in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Citrine. And I think you need to remedy that situation - get a pen for that neglected refill!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review. I have some Hi-Tec C pens and the new Maica pens are beautiful. I'm always on the lookout for another pretty pen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. I love the look of the new Hi-Tec-C Maicas! I've never been completely in love with the standard Hi-Tec-C's, but those ones might do it for me :)

      Delete
  3. I don't think the pens are meant to have a smell that matches their color, but all have the same scent. Thats how it seems to me anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be, but to me these two pens definitely smell different. I don't really know what they're supposed to smell like, but there is definitely is a difference between the two colours.

      Delete
  4. I like these pens a lot too :) The whole set of colors is just too cute to resist as well. And with tiny bunnies on the barrel... they give the Hi-Tec-C a hard time with their boring barrel! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Azizah! The selection of colours is great - I wish I could buy all of them :) For some reason I have a special fondness for colours with more unusual sounding names, like the lavender purple one I tried here.

      Delete
  5. OOH! I might have to get some of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give them a try, Kayte! I don't think you'll be disappointed!

      Delete
  6. Nice review Heather, the first paragraph reminded me of my Uni Signo Scents review. I found some smelled stronger than others but it was rare to find anything close to the fragrance statet, with exception of mint - which reminded me of Polo mints & bubblegum pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I'm not even sure what these ones are supposed to smell like - the green smells vaguely like apple (or at least like other apple-scented products) but is very faint, and the lavender purple doesn't smell like anything that I recognize. Still great pens, though :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...