Thursday, April 25, 2013

Centropen Liner 2811 0.3mm

The Centropen Liner 2811 was part of the bundle of pens and refills that I found at my local thrift store last month.  I have no idea where the original owner found this pen, because Centropen is a Czech company that doesn't appear to be very well known among most pen bloggers.  They produce a wide variety of pens and markers, one of which is this 0.3mm fineliner pen.


The Centropen Liner 2811 is a 0.3mm plastic-tip pen available in black, blue, red, and green.  It's slightly interesting in appearance because it has a white barrel, which is uncommon among pens, although it might not be ideal if you tend to have inky fingers.  I like the round design of the cap, but the plastic has a cheap feel to it, and the pen generally feels very light in the hand and has a vaguely institutional look to it that I don't really like.  Ink colour is indicated on the tip and on the end of the pen (not shown in my photos).  It's a basic design but functional and, while I'm not getting excited about it, I have no major complaints either.  It works.


As for the writing quality, the Centropen Liner 2811 is similar to the popular Sharpie Pen.  The tip might feel a touch softer than that of the Sharpie, but maybe that's just my imagination.  The blue ink is also a shade brighter than that of the Sharpie.  It bleeds and shows through slightly on cheap paper, but performs perfectly on Rhodia.


Overall, the Centropen Liner 2811 is a decent basic pen.  I think that for those living in North America, there are enough similar pens available here (Sharpie Pen, Marvy Le Pen, Stabilo Point 88) that this one doesn't really need to be an option.  Unless you really fall in love with the design of it for some reason.  Or unless you're a crazed pen blogger who is obsessed with trying out every different pen you can find.  Which may certainly be the case.  Speaking as a crazed pen blogger, I certainly wouldn't mind trying out other Centropen pens if I come across any in the future, but, unless you live where these pens are more readily available, this pen is probably not one that I would recommend you seek out.

Have you tried any of Centropen's pens or markers?  What did you think of them?

6 comments:

  1. Being crazy stationery addict from the Czech Republic, I often think about starting a stationery blog. The range of products is so different here!
    These liners are not bad, but the tip wears down with use and the line is not consistent when the liner is a bit older. I like 2551 Handwriter line better, they are porous-tip (or something that looks like porous tip) and I haven't experienced this issue with them. I keep one of those in one of my two regular pen cases (yes, I have two pen cases regularly with me. I'm really crazy!). Great for tracing outlines or quick scribbling of notes. I have only one issue with them - the ink is not much fadeproof. And they also bleed through regular 80 gsm paper.
    Centropen pens and markers are the cheapest here and probably the most widely used in schools and offices. And more of Centropen liners are white - or grey :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Jarka! It would be great if you started a stationery blog of your own - I'd love to get a look at the products that are available in a different part of the world. Let me know if you decide to start a blog!

      The tip wearing down seems to be common problem among these kinds of pens. I've noticed the same thing with the Sharpie Pen and the Staedtler Triplus Fineliner. (I haven't had my Stabilo Point 88's long enough to see if they do the same thing.) The 2551 Handwriter looks nice; I like how it has a longer, sleeker look to it. I wonder why Centropen likes the white/grey look? Definitely different from most North American pens that I can think of.

      Delete
  2. "Or unless you're a crazed pen blogger who is obsessed with trying out every different pen you can find." LOL! I was like.. I might fall into that category.. you're right though - I haven't seen these pens before, or even heard of them, so I was very intrigued to read your review. I will keep an eye out for them in the future though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Azizah, I think you might fall into that category! :) I couldn't find any other English reviews of any of Centropen's products, so they don't seem to be very well known. It would be nice to see more reviews of these lesser-known brands.

      Delete
  3. Hi Heather,

    Thanks for your last entry. That pen reminds me the times I lived in Central Europe, where you can choose from a wide range of locals brands of pens, pencils and fountain pens. Although any of them were as fancy as the ones produced in Western countries, all of them were pretty decent and reliable.

    Too bad I cannot remember the those brands names. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Armando! If I ever get a chance to do some travelling in different countries, checking out local brands of stationery will be something that I will do. It would be fun to try out pens and papers that aren't available in North America. At least you got to try some of them out, even if you can't remember the names :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...