Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Green Pen Comparison

Green is my favourite colour, and I almost always choose pens in different shades of green over those in other colours.  Here is a quick round-up of the green pens currently in my collection:



Of these, all three of the Uni-ball Signo DX pens would be among my favourites.  The lime green is my favourite shade of bright yellowy green (although it looks duller in the photo), and the green black - although it hardly looks green at all in comparison with the lighter shades - works well when you want a basic colour that doesn't call attention to itself, yet is still a bit different from the usual blue or black.  The emerald green was the most surprising to me; I usually don't like bluer greens as much as yellow-greens, but something about that colour combined with the 0.28mm line width (the others are 0.38mm) was just right.  The green Pilot FriXion Point, Pentel Slicci, and Dong-A Miffy gel pens are also favourites, although these greens are more standard shades.

Sadly, two of my favourites are no longer available.  The Pilot Petit1 Mini Fountain Pen is no longer available in dark green (and mine is very nearly out of ink), and the olive green Pilot Hi-Tec-C has also been discontinued.  I'm especially disappointed with the Hi-Tec-C, since I don't have any other pens in a similar colour, other than the olive green Staedtler Triplus Fineliner - but I prefer to use those pens for sketching more than for writing, and the Fineliner is not nearly as fine as the Hi-Tec-C.

My least favourite would be the French green Staedtler Triplus Fineliner, which is simply too light for me to use for writing or even for doodling.  The Uni-ball Vision is another pen I don't care for.  It's a blue-tinged green, the ink bleeds and feathers too much, and the pen itself is too scratchy.  The yellow-green Uni Mitsubishi Pure Color-F Double-Sided Sign Pen was also a slight disappointment; although I love the pen itself, the yellow-green colour is simply too light for me.  All three Gelly Rolls are okay, but are not pens that I would actually write with regularly; the Gold Shadow is too inky and the Moonlight too bright.

I have a hard time deciding between the two green highlighters.  The Platinum Preppy highlighter is more of a true green, while the Staedtler Textsurfer Classic is a yellower green.  I like them both!

What pen colours do you collect?  Have you found the perfect green?  Do you have any pen or ink recommendations for me?

(And, just for fun, you can check out my green pen comparison from 2009 and marvel at how my collection has grown.  Also see The Well-Appointed Desk's green pen comparisons from 2012 and 2013.)

6 comments:

  1. I have a couple of green pens and I like the Hi Tec-C Maica green the best so far. I lean more towards the purple and pink inks, but I run into the same problems - too light, too dark, too feathery...etc. I'm sure you know that you can turn the Pilot Petit 1 into an eyedropper and use bottled ink, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know that I could do that with the Pilot Petit1, but I probably wouldn't bother. While the dark green Petit1 is one of my favourite green pens for the colour alone, I'm actually not too crazy about the pen itself. I'd probably just look for a bottled ink in a similar colour and use it with one of the fountain pens I like better.

      Delete
  2. I'm also a big fan of the Signo Emerald and Green-Black. But the Gelly Roll Gold Shadow caught my eye--that's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pen itself is not the greatest - the ink bleeds and is slow to dry - but the colour is definitely unique!

      Delete
  3. I was (and still am) a fan of the Pilot G2 Hunter Green, a delicious green-black shade alas discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great colour; too bad that it has also been discontinued. If you're looking for a replacement, the 0.7mm Zebra Sarasa (a similar pen to the G2) is available in hunter green. I've used that pen in the past and have never been disappointed. And if you don't mind a finer tip, I would also recommend the 0.38mm Uni-ball Signo DX in green black.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...