Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pilot Hi-tecpoint V5 Grip

The Pilot Hi-tecpoint V5 was one of the earliest pens I reviewed here back in 2010.  It seems fitting now that 3 and a half years later, I'm revisiting this pen with a review of the grip version, the Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5 Grip (in purple).


The Pilot Hi-tecpoint Grip is a definite improvement on the original Hi-tecpoint.  While the original was a decent liquid ink pen, its plain stick design was boring and its lack of a grip made it uncomfortable to use for longer writing sessions.  I also found that the ink skipped a bit, just enough to be annoying.  The Grip version, however, has a soft grip, making it much more comfortable.  And the Grip's barrel design reminds me a lot of the design of the 0.5mm Pentel EnerGel.  Because the EnerGel is one of my favourite pens, that alone makes me feel more positive about the Hi-tecpoint Grip.


The main thing I love about this pen (as I did about the original) is the needle-point tip.  I always love needlepoints, and this one feels sturdy and in no danger of bending or breaking as I write.  And to me, the Hi-tecpoint Grip also seems to write much more smoothly than did the original Hi-tecpoint.  There's no skipping at all, and I find myself enjoying writing with this pen much more than I did with the original.  The Grip also does not bleed though on cheaper papers as much as the original did (and none at all on Rhodia, although there is some showthrough there). Again, it reminds me a lot of the Pentel EnerGel (though it's not quite that smooth).  This came as a surprise to me, because I wasn't expecting any difference in the ink.


Overall, the Pilot Hi-tecpoint V5 Grip is definitely one of the better pens that you'll find in the average office supply store.  It may not be one of my all-time personal favourites, but I would recommend it and I think that it would be a great pen to start with for someone who's just starting to expand beyond the basic ballpoint.  And if you're trying to decide between the Grip and the original versions, go with the Grip.  For me at least, it's the better pen.

Related review: Penfan.ru.

7 comments:

  1. This Pilot's really nice. I've also had an EnerGel, which I think is slightly better. I liked how the EnerGel had a comfortable rubber grip. But I agree with you that this Pilot is definitely one of the better pens available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm with you, Cima. I still prefer the EnerGel, but I was impressed by this pen, and by how EnerGel-like it was :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Cima, I like the EnerGel. I use these for work a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pen in blue is my favourite, but as I tend to write on cheap paper it shows through and bleeds all over the place and I have to write faster to compensate. I just can't let go of the colour though! For me, blue is the best and I haven't found blue like this in a pen that won't show/bleed through, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Uni-ball Roller Micro (http://apenchantforpaper.blogspot.ca/2014/01/uni-ball-roller-micro-05mm.html) is a fairly similar pen, and I think its blue ink colour is also close to the Hi-tecpoint's blue. However, it may still bleed through on some papers - although possibly not as much as the Hi-Tecpoint. The Pentel EnerGel (http://apenchantforpaper.blogspot.ca/2010/06/pentel-energel-needle-tip-05mm-blue.html) is one of my personal favourites; it writes very smoothly and isn't quite as prone to bleeding through, but its blue is more different, I think. Cheap paper is challenging with liquid ink pens, because many of them will bleed or show through to some extent.

      Delete
  4. Which is the better for a 60gr/m paper ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 60g/m sounds like a relatively thin paper. The EnerGel might be the best of the three for it, but something like a fine-point gel pen or even a ballpoint might work better (with less chance of bleeding / showthrough). That said, all papers are different; it would probably be best for you to simply try different pens that you think you might like and see which for yourself which ones works best.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...