Friday, October 25, 2013

Ink Review: Diamine Meadow

I have started my journey into fountain pen inks with an ink that I suspect will remain a favourite: Diamine Meadow.  This is a bright, happy yellow-toned green ink.  Not a lime green.  Not a dark green.  Just a nice medium green.  "Meadow" is a good name for it; think grass, leaves, springtime.  It's also almost exactly the same colour as my 2012 limited edition green Lamy Safari.  This is one of favourite colours EVER, so finding it in ink form makes me very happy indeed.


Even if you're not as much of a fan of green as I am, Diamine Meadow is still a nice ink.  For one, it has gorgeous shading, even with a fine nib.  I can imagine that it would be absolutely amazing with a broad or italic nib.  I have noticed, however, that it shows different amounts of shading on different papers.  It's beautiful on Rhodia, for example, but more muted on the rougher (and probably more absorbent) Paperblanks paper.

Diamine Meadow in a Paperblanks journal.  Lines of poetry from "Sometimes" by Hermann Hesse.  The ivory colour of the paper also makes the ink appear slightly yellower.

Diamine Meadow also does not bleed or feather, and is even well-behaved on cheaper papers.  The ink looks darker when the ink is wet, and dries to a lighter, brighter shade of green.  Because I am new to fountain pen inks, I find it difficult to judge whether this is a wet or dry ink, but I certainly have no problems with the flow in my Lamy F nib.  It does not skip at all, but the ink also does not seem excessively inky.

See how nicely this ink matches my Safari?  I love that.

The only potential problem I have found with this ink is the dry time.  On Rhodia, it took over 20 seconds to dry completely.  Dry time is not really an issue for me, so this is not going to make me love this ink any less, but it could be a problem for some.  Keep in mind as well that dry times will probably be faster on more porous papers.  Rhodia has a very smooth finish, which means that inks will dry more slowly on it.

This is a scan of my writing sample, not a photo.  I hope that by including a scan as well as photos of the ink on two different papers, I can give you a more well-rounded (if not 100% accurate) impression of the ink's colour.

Overall, Diamine Meadow is a beautiful and well-behaved green fountain pen ink.  If you're just getting started with bottled inks or if you're looking to expand your collection of ink colours (or if you're looking for a green ink to match your green Safari pen!), then I highly recommend Diamine Meadow.  I think this ink will become a favourite, and I can see myself buying a full bottle of it in the future.  I am very happy with my first fountain pen ink, and I am looking forward to trying more colours!

Related reviews: Ed Jelley, The Five Cat PENagerie, Ink of Me Fondly, Inkdependence.

16 comments:

  1. It is a very pretty shade of green and the first and only bottle of ink I've bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that this will be one of my first bottles of ink as well. As soon as my sample runs out, I need more of this colour!

      Delete
  2. I love Meadow with my green Lamy, too! A beautiful green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how the colours match... even though I wasn't even thinking of that when I first chose this ink.

      Delete
  3. Oooh great pick for this pen. I'm so glad you got yourself a converter :) It opens up a world of possibilities! It's such a simple name that for me, invokes the perfect, most calming image. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Azizah! The converter is awesome :) And it's probably bad to judge inks by their names, but I can't help doing it. The name "Meadow" was part of the reason I wanted to try this ink; I'm a nature-lover, so the name made the ink sound very appealing to me.

      Delete
  4. I'd like to see this compared with J. Herbin Vert Pre. The two look similar (at least from your scans)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I haven't tried Vert Pre yet, but looking at comparisons elsewhere, Diamine Meadow seems to be darker, while Vert Pre is lighter and brighter.

      Delete
  5. Great idea to include photo and scanner pics! Enjoyed your review and I do agree - a happy green ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheryl! It took me a long time to decide how I wanted to present my ink reviews, but I finally decided to include both photos and scans - my photos sometimes skew the colours (though not so much in this review) so the scans should help to give a more well-rounded view.

      Delete
  6. Looks a little "Lime" to me :) But I am a major green fan and I plan to get some Diamine Meadow for my green Lamy Safari too. Thanks for the review -- for some reason I thought the Meadow was more "Mint" - (one of my least favorite greens). I am very glad to know it leans yellow and not blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, I would say that Meadow is darker and not quite as yellow as a true lime green, but it is definitely not mint! It still has more yellow in it than blue, which is good, because those are the shades of green that I prefer as well :)

      Delete
  7. Very nice. I've got Diamine Emerald in my pen at the moment. It's a darker shade than that, but has the same nice shading and range of colour in it. If you're after an ink that behaves the same, but is a darker shade then it's a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that recommendation! Diamine Emerald does indeed look like a nice colour. I love dark greens as well, but I haven't tried any dark green inks yet... something I'll try to do when I place my next order of ink samples!

      Delete
  8. Nice review. I am still in search of my favorite go to green ink. This one looks really cool with that pen. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, one of my favourite things about this ink was how well it matched my pen! I haven't tried enough inks yet to know what my favourite green will be, but this one is definitely going to be a possibility.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...