Saturday, November 23, 2013

Ink Review: Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki

Pilot Iroshizuku inks are well-known for their high quality - and their corresponding high prices.  I doubt that I would ever buy a bottle of this ink simply because the price is a bit too high for me to feel comfortable with, but because these inks are so well-respected in the fountain pen community, I still wanted to try a sample of at least one Iroshizuku ink.  I chose Kon-Peki (deep cerulean blue), and in this review I'll find out if this ink will make me change my mind about buying a full bottle!

Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki in Rhodia dotPad.

The first thing I noticed about Iroshizuku Kon-Peki was that it was a bit drier than the Diamine Meadow ink I had been using before.  This meant that I needed to be a bit more careful about holding my pen correctly so that I wouldn't get any skipping.  Once I had that figured out, however, Kon-Peki wrote smoothly and I had no problems with the flow.

The best part about this ink is that (on good paper) it doesn't show even a hint of feathering or bleedthrough.  It did bleed through on some (but not all) of the cheaper papers I tried it on, but even then feathering was minimal.

Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki in Paperblanks journal with lines from the poem "Here is the Road" by Arlene Gay Levine.

I have to admit I'm not terribly excited by the ink colour.  As I've mentioned before, I'm not a big fan of blue ink, and while there are some blues that I love, Kon-Peki is not one of them.  That said, I can see why this might be the perfect blue for some people - it's not too dark or too light, not too bold or too conservative.  It has a hint of green in it, but it is definitely NOT a greenish-blue.  For me, it's... okay, but there isn't anything about it that really stands out for me.  I honestly thought I would like this blue more than I do, so I am a bit disappointed because of that (but don't worry, Kon-Peki, it's me, not you).

The shading is also okay.  Kon-Peki definitely has shading, and it's easy to see even with my F nib, but it doesn't stand out.  I think I would like this ink more if the shading was a bit more obvious, but maybe with a broad or italic nib it would stand out better.  And of course if you're not that crazy about shading, then this more understated look may be ideal for you.

Scan of the writing sample for a more well-rounded impression of the ink's colour.

Overall, I have to say that while I like Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, I simply do not love it because the colour is not for me.  But it does perform very well, and I would certainly recommend it if you are looking for a medium to bright blue with some shading.  I may be warming up to this ink the more I use it, but I doubt that there is a bottle of Kon-Peki in my future.  Then again, I'd certainly be happy to try other Iroshizuku ink samples, and if I find a colour that I really love... who knows what might happen?

Related reviews: The Pen Addict, Ed Jelley, The Unwritten Word, Tyler Dahl, Inkyjournal, Greasemonkeyhands, Pentulant, Vec Blog.

2 comments:

  1. That blue is GORGEOUS. I need to get my hands on a bottle of this as soon as I can find both the money and a nearby retailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like this ink, Windi! Especially since you're much more of a fan of blue than I am :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...