Saturday, November 30, 2013

November Miscellany: Journals, Collages, Nerds

The end of November, and the year itself is almost done.  I'm started to get excited for 2014 as I make plans for things I want to do next year.  As always, I have all sorts of big ideas that probably won't all get completed, but that is okay.  Sometimes just the planning and the dreaming is important.  If you need some extra reading while you plan, here are some links from the past month:

  • Jono at Pentorium has a great post on how to enjoy your everyday mundane tasks - cheaply.  I don't really have much to say about this post, because it's awesome and I agree with all of his points - and now I feel even more ashamed of the cluttered surface of my desk!
  • Check out Gennine's gorgeous journal pages.  I'm also working in a square-format journal right now; I like the look of square pages because there's more room to expand horizontally and so things seem more open, somehow.  Or something like that, anyway.
  • I know I've mentioned iHanna's 365-collages-in-2013 project before, and now she's written a detailed post on her creative process of making a collage for every day of the year.  I especially like the idea of having a weekly goal rather than a daily goal, because there always are a few days where my mind turns to mush and nothing gets done the way I want it.  If you love the idea of a 365 project, you should also check out her post on how to plan for it.
  • Perhaps as a counterpoint to Hanna's collages, Michelle writes about why she has moved away from using collage in her journals.  This post really resonated with me, because I've experienced something similar.  Although my early art journals were strongly based on collage, lately I've been more focused on drawing and sketching and developing my own style rather than borrowing someone else's style.
  • I love this story of nerds, cell phones, and (somewhat) antiquated technology.  I also love Microsoft Word, but I love my pens, pencils, and notebooks even more (and I don't even own a cell phone).  Compasses are also great!  I own an excellent Silva Ranger compass that I bought for a class in university, but I've hardly used it since.
  • Tammy has created an awesome post summarizing and describing the different kinds of Sakura Gelly Roll pens available.  It's an older post, and she doesn't cover quite all of the varieties (no Gold Shadows or Silver Shadows, for example), but it's excellent if you're trying to decide what the right Gelly Roll for you is.
  • Finally, on my other blog I've done an A to Z survey about my favourite books!  This is a bit silly and not the usual kind of thing that I write about there, but it was rather fun as well so you should check it out if you love books and want to find out what I love reading.  And if you enjoyed Jono's post at the beginning of this miscellany, you may also want to read my post on raking leaves and joy of everyday tasks.

That's all for this month!  Stay tuned for new posts and reviews in December, and my top ten of 2013 coming up at the end of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather!
    Thank you for including my post in your link round-up! I really hesitated to publish that post because I didn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers but I have heard from a couple of people who feel the same way about collage as I do! Love your blog!
    Michelle from Lost Coast Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I think there probably are many people who feel that way about collage - it is just that collage has always been so popular and has been used for so long by many of the most well-known art journal blogs. Nothing wrong with that of course, but those other voices have just not been heard as often.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...