Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ink Review: Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün

Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün (old golden green) was at the top of my list of fountain pen inks I wanted to try out.  I had seen a few reviews of this ink online, and the colour looked like it would be perfect for me.  And luckily, even with my high expectations of this ink, it did not disappoint.

Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün in Rhodia dotPad.  None of the images in this post truly capture this ink's colour.

I would describe Alt-Goldgrün as an olive green, but it's a bit brighter and lighter than what I think of as the typical olive green.  And no matter what you call it, I absolutely love this colour.  Look at it closely under the right light and it almost seems to glow, making the "gold" in the name seem more appropriate.  From a distance, it's soft and muted, the sort of ink that I imagine an old manuscript being written in.  For me, Alt-Goldgrün is very near perfect - it's a warm green that's not too dark or too light and is muted rather than bright.  I would happily use this as my everyday ink colour instead of the more traditional black or blue.

Rohrer & Klinger Alt-Goldgrun in Paperblanks journal with lines from the poem "Things to Believe In" by Patricia Monaghan.

Even apart from the colour, this ink is wonderful.  The flow is great - writing is effortless and smooth with no skipping, but it's not a really juicy wet ink either.  There is some bleedthrough on cheaper papers, but it's not that bad, and an ink this nice really deserves good paper anyway, so who cares?  The shading is beautiful.  It's not really obvious with my Lamy F nib, but it's definitely there, shading from a light yellowish green to a deep olive.  I imagine that it would be amazing in a broad nib.

Scan of the writing sample for a more well-rounded impression of the ink's colour.  The scans always exaggerate the shading.

Overall, Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün is a beautiful ink that I highly recommend.  I think that it may even have beat out Diamine Meadow as my new favourite fountain pen ink, and I will definitely be buying a full bottle of this ink in the future.  Alt-Goldgrün is not a traditional green colour, so give it a try even if you're not usually a fan of green inks.

Related reviews: Ed Jelley, Ink Nouveau, FPGeeks, Whatever, East West Everywhere, The Pen Addict, Inkyjournal, The Pen Habit, Nothing Spaces, The Five Cat PENagerie.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you use these beautiful pens to copy out your favourite poems, it's a really inspiring way of almost collecting poetry because reading someone else's word in your own handwriting increases the connection to the poem. Then of course there's also the act of writing the words with the pen, which is satisfying in itself!

    I suppose it's like calligraphy in a more personal form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll agree with all of that, Susanna! I've copied my favourite poems and quotations in this way for years, and now I have several notebooks full of them. I love going back and reading through them; my notebooks are now like personalized anthologies of my favourite poems :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmm one of my absolute favourite colours! Simply outstanding.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...