Thursday, May 8, 2014

Red and Orange Pen Comparison

To follow up on my green pen and blue pen comparisons, here is a comparison of the red and orange pens currently in my collection.  I don't have as many pens in these colours as I do in green and blue, so I've grouped these two colours together into one post.
 


Red isn't a colour I use often, but when it comes to red pens and inks, I like a red that is deep and saturated.  The Pentel EnerGel red is probably my ideal red because of that, closely followed by the Pilot Varsity red.  These two reds are so similar I find it difficult to tell them apart.  The Bic Exact-tip Roller red is very deep, but rather dull compared to the other reds.  It's a unique colour - closer to a burgundy than a true red.  The Pentel Slicci and Stabilo Point 88 reds are lighter, and fairly unremarkable.  Another favourite is the dark red Zebra Sarasa (I'm not sure whether "Port Red" is in fact the right name for this colour).  I've used this colour for years and it's great when I want something a bit different but that doesn't stand out as much as a bright colour.  I wouldn't use it as a true red, though.

Orange is one of my favourite colours, but it can be tricky to get right.  It's one of those colours that I worry about being too light to be able to read easily.  The Staedtler Triplus Fineliner orange is probably my favourite out of these, as it's a bright, yellowy orange that is easy to read, followed by the Uni Mitsubishi Pure Color-F orange, which is more of a true orange.  The Pentel Slicci orange is okay, but it's a bit reddish compared to the others, and the Pilot FriXion Point orange is similar to the Slicci but a bit softer.  I used to think that I preferred yellow-oranges to red-oranges, but I loved Noodler's Habanero fountain pen ink, which is definitely on the red side of orange, so I'm no longer sure that that is true.  Finally, I love the bronze Pentel Slicci, which is an orange-brown with a metallic sheen, but this is not an everyday writing pen.

Do you use red and orange pens and inks?  Which are your favourites?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite orange fountain pen ink is Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-yake:
    http://www.gouletpens.com/Ink_Sample_Pilot_Iroshizuku_Yu_yake_Sunset_p/is-pn69210.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does look like a bright, happy orange! I'll add it to my list of inks to try one day...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...