Friday, June 13, 2014

An Old Favourite: Staedtler Silver Ball 404 0.3mm

Many years ago in high school an acquaintance came to class with a set of coloured pens in a plastic pouch which she used to take wonderfully colour-coordinated notes.  The pens were Staedtler Silver Ball 404 rollerballs, and of course I instantly coveted a set of my own.  I bought my own set at Staples as soon as possible, and used them obsessively for the rest of that year.  I still remember those pens fondly, but I hadn't seen any in years.  So I was delighted to come across a single Staedtler Silver Ball recently at the thrift store.
 


I am happy to report that the Staedtler Silver Ball 404 is still as good as I remember it.  It writes smoothly with a fine line and bright colour.  The ink does not bleed through as some rollerballs do (this was especially important to me back in high school, as I didn't use any particularly good paper back then).  I have to admit that there is a tiny bit of feathering, even on Rhodia paper, and sometimes the ink skips a bit, but both issues are not that noticeable most of the time, and I honestly don't care because I still love these pens.


The pen itself has a very basic stick design with a round barrel.  It's actually not that uncomfortable to hold, though; because the ink flows smoothly, I don't need to grip the pen as hard I am often prone to do.  I remember that the full set of these pens came in a reusable plastic pouch, and I also remember them being fairly long-lasting - I used these pens a lot in high school, and I was still using the pink one (pink is my least favourite colour, so the pink pens in a set usually last me the longest) in my first few years at university.  (That pen is pictured in this post, where I also mentioned that it bled through on thinner papers and that I wouldn't buy a set of the pens again - however, bleedthough now seems to be very minimal, and I would definitely buy another set.)


Overall, I still feel that the Staedtler Silver Ball 404 is a great rollerball pen, although not perfect.  Sadly, they do not seem to be as widely available as they once were.  An Internet search turns up a few sites that seem to sell them, but I haven't seen them in a store for a long time.  I would gladly buy another set if I ran across some in person, though I doubt that I'd actively seek them out.  (I have a lot of other pens to use up, so I wouldn't really need a set.)

Have you ever used these pens?  What favourite pens (or pencils) do you remember from your childhood?

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more. That's why I'm searching them up now because I want to buy a set to use. All other pens so far are making my hands very tired but this one does not and the best part is that it is waterproof!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...