Monday, June 2, 2014

Pentel Quicker Clicker 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil

I seem to be reviewing more mechanical pencils lately, and I'm not sure why.  But whatever the reason, the Pentel Quicker Clicker - while it does have some flaws - is likely one of my favourite mechanical pencils that I have reviewed so far.


Let's start with the positives.  My favourite thing about the Pentel Quicker Clicker is how it feels in my hand.  I know, this is very subjective, but as soon as I picked this pencil up I noticed that the weight, balance, and width of the barrel felt just right to me.  I also love how the grip feels.  It's just plastic, so it's not anything special, but - again - it feels like just the right soft-but-not-squishy grip for me.


I also think that the Quicker Clicker looks good.  The translucent sky blue barrel is appealing, and it contrasts nicely with the brighter blue eraser cap and the darker blue grip.  (The Quicker Clicker is also available in a few other barrel colours, and in 0.7mm and 0.9mm as well as 0.5mm.)  I like that I can see the spare leads inside the translucent barrel.  The clip is metal, so is presumably sturdier than a plastic clip, and the branding is very minimal: above the clip is inscribed (almost invisibly) the words "0.5", "Pentel", and "Japan", and to the left of that, "PD345".  (You can barely see a hint of this in the photo above.)  If you don't like obvious branding, then this is the pencil for you.  Under the cap, the eraser is a fairly decent size (and refill erasers are apparently available), and erases well.


But as I said, the Quicker Clicker does have some flaws.  I'm not a fan of caps on erasers, as they can be easily lost, but I have to admit that this bright blue cap looks good and provides a nice finishing touch to the design of the pencil.  So I can live with it.  My main issue is with the button to advance the lead.  Usually, this is located at the end of the pencil, but in the Quicker Clicker, it's along the side of the grip (presumably to make it quicker for users for advance the lead, and hence the name).  Somehow, no matter how I carefully position the pencil so that this button is away from my hand, it always seems to end up directly under my thumb.  It's rather irritating, especially since I tend to grip my pencils and pens very firmly, and I fear that I may end up accidentally advancing the lead this way.


Overall, I really, really want to love the Pentel Quicker Clicker mechanical pencil.  It feels so close to being the perfect mechanical pencil for me.  I love how it feels and how it looks.  If only Pentel could have somehow changed that lead-advance button (perhaps it would have been better along the barrel just below the grip? would that work?).  But as I said, this is still one of my favourite mechanical pencils so far, and I think I'll make it my everyday pencil for a while (displacing my Pentel Fiesta).  Perhaps I'll be able to find a way of holding this pencil that works better for me...

Related reviews: Dave's Mechanical Pencils, Thinkertry.

1 comment:

  1. Fair size eraser? I wnat that! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...