Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pen Review: Bic Atlantis Ballpoint

Much to the chagrin of some of my readers, I have been using ballpoints quite a bit lately.  They may not offer the most amazing writing experience in the world, but basic Bic ballpoints do play an important role in my arsenal of writing supplies.  Because of that, I was interested in trying out the Bic Atlantis, Bic's version of the "super-smooth" ballpoint.
 
 
At first glance, the Atlantis appears to be a slightly flashier pen than the standard Bics - it's retractable, it has a basic grip, and the name and logo are emblazoned in silver.  It's still a very basic pen, but the design is relatively pleasing and unobtrusive, so I don't have any complaints.  The main thing that stood out to me was the grip; when I first started writing it felt almost slippery, making me feeling as though I had to grip the pen more tightly, but that might have just been me, and I didn't notice it as I continued to write.

Two different versions of the Bic Atlantis.

The most important question here is: Does the Atlantis write noticeably better than the standard Bic ballpoints (e.g., the Bic Cristal)?  Well, the ink doesn't glob, which is great, but standard Bics don't glob very much either.  And it is relatively smooth writing, but it's not the smoothest ballpoint I've ever used (the Uni-ball Jetstream is probably the best pen that I've tried in this category).  I even find the standard Bics to be relatively smooth ballpoints.  And the blue ink seems to me to be a bit pale.


Overall, the Bic Atlantis strikes me a solid, dependable, unremarkable ballpoint, but I can't really discern much of a difference between it and the standard Bic ballpoints - which I also consider to be solid, dependable ballpoints.  Everyone is all about fountain pens these days, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I still like ballpoints (as well as fountain pens).  If you just need a basic pen to toss into your bag, keep at hand for random notes and doodles, or lure potential pen thieves away from your more important pens, than I think that you can't go wrong with a Bic ballpoint - of any kind.

Other reviews: Art Supply Critic, Pocket Blonde, Rhonda Eudaly.

1 comment:

  1. I rarely use ballpoint pens, but Bic Atlantis is probably one I would choose if I do not have any pen on me and need to purchase one on the fly. At one time, I used to have a bunch with me, but they are also prone to pen knapping, since they look a bit prettier than regular Bic and perform well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...