Monday, December 22, 2014

Top 10 of 2014

2014 is almost over and that means it's time for my yearly top ten list - the list of the items that I used and enjoyed the most throughout the year.  I can hardly believe that this is the fifth year I've compiled this list!  It feels like such a short time ago that I thought of it for the first time.  (Click on the links to go back to the original reviews.)


  1. Pentel EnerGel Euro 0.35mm Black - I've used this pen for a while but I was reminded this year of how much I love it.  I think this may even be my Favourite Pen Ever, since it writes so smoothly with such a fine, crisp, dark line; it's pretty much perfection.
  2. Staedtler Mars Plastic eraser - Surprised to see an eraser so high on the list?  I didn't do as much writing by hand this year as I have in other years, but I have been doing a lot of kakuro and logic puzzles lately, so this eraser has come in handy.  It's just a great, dependable eraser.  And kakuro puzzles are the best, by the way; they're much more fun than sudoku.
  3. Pentel Quicker Clicker 0.5mm mechanical pencil - This goes along with the eraser as I always use a mechanical pencil to solve puzzles.  I still have some mixed feelings about this pencil (as I described in my review), but it always feels good in my hand and I feel happy using it.
  4. My DIY planner/bullet journal in my Rhodia Webnotebook - This was my main planning tool for over half the year.  As I've described before, my system did fall apart during the summer, but I loved using it before that happened and I found it to be to be a simple and satisfying way to keep a planner and journal.  As for the Rhodia Webnotebook, I still think it's the best notebook ever and it's appeared on all of my top 10 lists so far.
  5. Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün fountain pen ink - Currently my favourite ink.  I have no problems with how this ink writes and the colour is perfect for me, although I still don't own a full bottle...
  6. Tombow MONO drawing pencils - I love these pencils.  The HB and B grades have my perfect combination of relatively hard yet dark lead.  And they're great for practicing my much-neglected drawing skills.
  7. UHU Stic glue stick - This may seem like an odd addition to my top ten list, but as I've mentioned before, my main creative project this year has been creating a collage for every week, so I've been using these glue sticks a lot.  UHU has been my favourite brand of glue stick since just about forever.
  8. Pentel Fluorescent Marker - I also used highlighters more often this year, as this was the year when I discovered just how useful they can be.  The Pentel Fluorescent Marker is my current favourite; I love its slim body and the fine, crisp, bright line of ink it lays down.  Unfortunately, these highlighters do not seem to be very widely available, so I might have to start looking for a replacement.
  9. Rhodia Ice - I've long loved Rhodia pads, and I was very happy with this year's offering of the Rhodia Ice.  I still think that I prefer the orange covers, but I can't resist the Ice's cool beauty, and I do prefer its grey grid lines rather than the violet lines of the standard editions.
  10. Sharpie Metallic Permanent Marker (review upcoming) - Another odd addition to this list, the metallic Sharpie marker (in silver) was another item I used a lot in my weekly collages.  Also, I feel like I've been searching for the perfect metallic pen or marker for most of my life, and this may finally be it.

That's all for this year!  What were your favourite products of 2014?  Did any of your favourites appear on my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...