Friday, March 13, 2015

Follow-up: Binder Clips and Loose-leaf Rings

I received some questions on my last post, so I thought a follow-up post was needed so I could illustrate some of the things I mentioned only briefly last time.
 
First, binder clips as stands...
 


I'm sure there are many ways you could do this.  It's not something I do very often, but when I do, I use what seems to me to be the simplest method: two binder clips of equal size clipped as shown in the above photo.  This is probably best for lightweight objects, such as cards (as is shown in the photo), or maybe a pocket notebook (it works for my Field Notes, for example).  Search on Google and you'll find many examples of how to create binder clip stands for smart phones, tablets, etc. (here's one).  Just experiment with different combinations of binder clips and you'll probably come up with something that works for you.

And if you need further proof that binder clips are awesome, here's a post that lists 54 uses for them (some more serious than others!).


Finally, loose leaf rings - these may not be as familiar as binder clips, so I thought it might be useful to show a photo of what they look like in action.  Simply thread them through the holes of your papers and you have a very simple form of binding.  To hold together 8½ x 11-inch papers, you really only need two rings - one for the top hole and one for the bottom - but I usually use three anyway, just because I can.  To hold together index cards, you only need one ring, and holes punched in the top corners of the cards.

Do you use binder clips or loose-leaf rings?  How do you use them?

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using loose leaf rings, but that's pretty impossible to find where I live (Brazil), mostly because we don't really have the habit of using flashcards. Now that I am really in to flashcards, I improvised something with an old keychain ring, which is not practical at all (and when possible, I put them in a binder and that's okay too).

    Binder clips are real life-savers indeed. At first I was just using it to hold papers, but now I have them in my curtains, my birds' cage and my food, and now there's this weird need of purchasing more because they're everywhere and what's holding my papers together now? crazy, right? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your attitude of taking the simplest approach!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...