Wednesday, March 11, 2015

My Favourite Office Supplies

I have previously written posts on my favourite supplies for writing and for art journaling, and now I would like to use this post to highlight some of my other favourite supplies that are not pens, pencils, or paper.  Some of these are familiar office supplies that most of you probably own, while others are a bit more obscure.
 

  • Hole punch - In high school I owned a cheap hole punch that attached to the rings of my binder and only punched 2 sheets of paper at a time.  It was painful to use it if I had a large amount of papers to punch, so in university I bought myself a real hole punch (mine's from Swingline) and I am honestly not kidding when I say that it was one of the best purchases I made in my university years.  This hole punch made my life better by saving me time and relieving a lot of unnecessary stress on my hand (from punching holes with my cheap hole punch).  And I always found it fun to use as well.  I don't need to punch holes in too many papers these days, but my Swingline hole punch is still one of my essential supplies.
  • Stapler - This was another essential from high school and university, as almost every assignment I completed needed to be printed out and stapled together.  The stapler I used in those years was my pocket-sized Swingline stapler.  This stapler is comfortable to use, small enough to fit in most pencil cases, capable of stapling almost anything that a large stapler can, and it incorporates both a staple remover and a space to store extra staples.
  • Loose-leaf rings - No one ever mentions these, but I have used them for years and I love them.  I mainly use them as a form of simple, temporary binding to hold together 8½ x 11-inch pieces of scrap paper for writing rough drafts and lists.  I've also used them to hold together stacks of flash cards.
  • Binder clips - I only discovered binder clips in the last few years, but I love them as well.  They're much better than traditional paper clips as they can clip together much thicker stacks of paper.  I mainly use them to hold together small pieces of scrap paper to form rough notepads, but I've also used them to hold notebook pages open, as clamps to hold together things that are being glued, or as simple stands.  If you're bored, you can also make sculptures out of them (see below).
  • Graphing calculator - This was a requirement for my high school math class many years ago, but I still use it several times a week today.  While I usually don't need to draw graphs (although, being the geek that I am, sometimes I make graphs just for fun) or use the advanced functions anymore, it's still my favourite calculator to use.  It has a large screen that shows every number and operation you enter, so you can easily see exactly what you're calculating.  (If you're curious, my graphing calculator is a Texas Instruments TI-83+; it's quite old so I assume that much newer versions are now available.)


What are your favourite office supplies?  Do they include any less conventional items?  And does anyone other than me still use a calculator regularly?

15 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity, how do you use the binder clips as stands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this would be easier to show than describe, so I wrote a follow-up post which you can find here: http://apenchantforpaper.blogspot.ca/2015/03/follow-up-binder-clips-and-loose-leaf.html

      And do a Google search for "binder clips as stands" and you'll find many more examples.

      Delete
  2. Hi Heather!

    I completely agree with you regarding the binder clips. Traditional clips are dangerous: sometimes unrelated documents got stucked with other papers and can take hours if not days to find them. At the office I use coloured binders clips to classify: brilliant red for urgent cases!

    My life is much easier with them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando, I like your idea of using binder clips to colour-code documents. I just like collecting the different colours and patterns for fun :)

      Delete
  3. How do you use the loose-leaf rings? Like a paper clip, or do you loop them through punched holes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loop them through the holes. They're basically like the rings in a binder but without the binder :)

      Here's a follow-up post showing them in action: http://apenchantforpaper.blogspot.ca/2015/03/follow-up-binder-clips-and-loose-leaf.html

      Delete
  4. Hi Heather,

    One of my favorite office supplies is my PaperPro stapler, have you tried them before? I get extreme satisfaction from the spring loaded sound of it going through a stack of papers.

    The other thing that I recommend is my TI-89 calculator, also with me since high school. This thing has seen me through engineering school and PE exams and still gets daily use. In my eyes, it's definitely worth the upgrade for anyone looking to buy a graphing calculator.

    Thanks for the post, I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abe, I have not used the PaperPro stapler, but it does sound like a fun supply to use :)

      Also, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who uses a graphing calculator! I'd definitely consider upgrading mine if I still needed to use the advanced functions regularly.

      Delete
  5. I love binder clips. I sue them for virtually everything. They are so much better than paper clips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep binder clips around and use them often, not only in the office, but out in my artist booth. They are great for clipping table clothes down or hanging decorations. In the office, they clip stacks of index cards beautifully. I always keep a carton of them around. I also use the loose leaf rings. They work great for keeping story outline cards together in a certain order.

    Nice article. I enjoyed reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My calculator is FAR less complicated.

    I'd add a ruler to that list. It's absolutely indispensable, either as a straight edge or as a measuring device (a makeshift catapult, sword, fairy diving board, musical instrument, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Nice post!

    If you ever get to do a comparison of staplers, try a Maped brand stapler.

    I have had used them in the past and currently use a Universal Metal model. It's one of their more affordable models. But if you prefer to test their smaller models, they have them as well and I think they would do well.

    I've always liked the design of the Maped line. In my model, a curved line from the upper arm meets a curved line from the lower part. I also liked the way the radius of the curve of the upper front end matches the bottom front end. Sometimes, it's the small details in the "mundane", everyday things that delight us. It might not be particularly functional but it's nice to know that somebody out there put little touches like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stapler is one of my favorite office supplies as it is made up by applying some interesting scientific rules like spring tension, stuck stapler pins, pins appropriate molding and others. Staplers usage used to make curiosity in my school days as how metallic pins stick together, why don't it bends different direction and so on.

    Thanks for the post, this takes me back to my school days memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite office supplies are my binder clips and stapler. I have too many papers in my desk sometimes and that really helps organize my space a bit. Also, my colored pens! Can’t live without them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...